Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How long between starting truck?

How long will everyone wait between driving the truck? Or phrased another way how long are you willing to let your truck sit without starting the engine?

Any tips or tricks to use after the truck has been sitting idle?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have let them set a year or more. I just check fluid levels and start them up. Most times they fire on the first crank if you put a little gas in the carb first.

I'm not the best for starting my truck or driving it when I think it should be. If mine sits over 2 weeks the gas seems to siphon back to the tank and then takes forever to start.
I think Dennis had a solution to this problem and one day I'll repair it. I have started to use starting fluid to help.
I keep mine in a conditioned garage and think this makes a difference. If its outside, it's subject to temp changes that can cause condensation in crankcases , transmissions and differentials.
Getting the vehicle up to operating temps, burns off this moisture.
Stabil is in all my gas tanks that could sit over a week.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I let vehicles sit for ages....fuel stabilizer and climate controlled. I think if I had them outside I would tend to start and move them once a month to keep surfaces oil covered.

My truck is parked over the winter. Occasionally (every couple of months) I will go visit the truck and let it run for half an hour.

I disconnect the coil, and crank the engine to build oil pressure. Reconnect and start engine. I keep my foot on the accelerator to keep rpm 1500-2000 RPM, and do not let it idle for the first minute or so. You want some RPM initially because your cyl. walls, wrist pin bushing, and cam lobes are primarily splash fed oil. After a while I cycle the trans. through the gears. Tires are not off of the ground, but if they were I would spin the tires and splash some diff oil around.

Derek.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I let my rigs sit all the time. Fuel stabilizer is my friend. Only thing to keep in mind, if you put it away with a leak or crusty seal/gasket...chances are it'll get only get worse.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts