Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HP and TORQUE

Michigan
Hey all.

I need some big torque and HP out of our 460. So i need some help with parts and the best way to get the numbers i want..

Well first of all. On our smallblocks like in my truck you want Long runners for more torque. Now with that in mind how would a Tunnel Ram intake do for those low end torque numbers?

Also whats the difference between a single or dual plane intake? What one is better?

What camshaft does anyone suggest, Lots of torque down low, and enough to keep the tires spinning at higher rpms while pulling.

Heads we are going with DOVE-C heads, all redone.

Any other suggestions?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
This sounds like a Seth (Proeliator)
question on NWU. He's built a few 460's up to make stoopid HP. I paged him.

Proeliator

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
Well first of all. On our smallblocks like in my truck you want Long runners for more torque. Now with that in mind how would a Tunnel Ram intake do for those low end torque numbers?

Also whats the difference between a single or dual plane intake? What one is better?

A tunnel ram would KILL your bottem end/torque, especially in a heavy vehicle. The difference between a single/dual plane is whether or no the plenum is open. The open plenum large runners are great for hairy motors that will use them, and hurt the low end on mild to medium motors in heavy vehicles. There is no "better" only which fits your application.

The number one question is: Whats your budget?

Second question is: What are you exact goals from this mill?

Since this is a heavy vehicle, and you are talking about wanting to maintain low end grunt a weiand stealth intake is your best choice. They have been dyno proven by pretty much all the 460 builders to be the best intake until you need to step up to something like a victor which is an open plenum.

Dove C's are a great choice and should put you at @ 9.5:1 compression, put in the CJ sized valves when you port them. If you are porting them yourself it will be worth it to spend the $20 and subscribe to Scott J's site at Reincarnation automotive.

You cam will depend on how everything else is set up on the motor.

edit: take a gander at www.460ford.com, everything you need to know.

Last edited:
Michigan
Sweet thanks alot man.

Budget is up in the air right now, we are not doing any body work to it, mostly motor trans and driveline upgrades. Going to be a street stock pulling truck, 6,000 LB class.

Il talk a look into the stealth intakes.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts