Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I'm new here

Fellro

Staff member
Howdy, trick around here is finding Chevys with floor supports and rockers... the difference on many of the 80 up Fords is that they don't tend to rot underneath as bad. I have gone both ways, chev and ford, and been around both for over 25 years, and all have their good and bad points... Good to see another from Iowa, where abouts are you located? I'm just west of Iowa City

Howdy, trick around here is finding Chevys with floor supports and rockers... the difference on many of the 80 up Fords is that they don't tend to rot underneath as bad. I have gone both ways, chev and ford, and been around both for over 25 years, and all have their good and bad points... Good to see another from Iowa, where abouts are you located? I'm just west of Iowa City

I live in Cedar Rapids.

What do you guys think of this truck? http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1120265622.html

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sounds like runs pretty well, but it appears that the rust is getting the best of it... I'd put an eyeball on the truck before deciding whether or not it's worth a damn.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah...I'd look it over REAL careful for what's rusty.

Those ol' Fords all rot from the inside out, from what I've seen...my (slightly) educated guess is that there is more rust on that truck than you're going to want to bother with. I could be wrong, though.

(Where's Travis with his 2x4'd rocker panel? His truck looks pretty clean at 20'...but I think needing to add wood to hold the cab together does qualify it as a rustbucket.)

EDIT: What do you want the truck for? I-6 will probably haul trailers better than the 302 (5.0), if that's a concern...and all the ones you posted are 2wd. I live in Maine and drive a 2wd truck, but beware- they're LOUSY in the snow. Your Saturn will run rings around a 2wd pickup when the white stuff starts falling.

Last edited:
Sounds like runs pretty well, but it appears that the rust is getting the best of it... I'd put an eyeball on the truck before deciding whether or not it's worth a damn.

I definitely wouldn't buy it sight unseen but I don't mind a little rust like what that has. I would just have to take precautions to stop it from getting worse, probably some rustoleum or something. I kinda want a 5 speed since that's what I drive now but I could settle for an auto.

EDIT: What do you want the truck for? I-6 will probably haul trailers better than the 302 (5.0), if that's a concern...and all the ones you posted are 2wd. I live in Maine and drive a 2wd truck, but beware- they're LOUSY in the snow. Your Saturn will run rings around a 2wd pickup when the white stuff starts falling.

Truck would just be for dinking around in. I'd do some light hauling, the biggest trailer would be either a lawn mower but I kinda want to get a jon boat so that would be the biggest. If I get a V8 I know that I will want to start modding the engine. I've driven 2wd in the snow before, and if it gets real bad I can just take my dad's suburban (4x4).

Fellro

Staff member
I work at the 16th Ave Autozone in CR... usually evenings and weekends.

Definitely get a look on the trucks, but the truck market around here is a buyer's market typically. You can find 4x's in the 1500 range. Cab corners, floor pans and fenders are the common place for rust around here. Cab mounts on the severe rust cases... I was surprised to find my old man's 84 has rust only in the cab corners, but it was never a daily driver either, but it is an old farm truck. the 88 we got from my cousin has more rust, but not real bad. I do have a couple holes in the cab corners, and rust in the wheel lips on the box, but it is a work truck, so I'm not overly concerned. My 86 was a regular workhorse for a co-op down to Kalona, and the box is the main place it has rust. the 87 and newer trucks don't seem to hold out as well for whatever the reason.

My criteria:

Under $2500, preferably under $2k
Still has floor pans, bedsides. A little rust is ok
Engine doesn't really matter to me, really. Although a 351 truck would be nice if it came along
2wd or 4wd doesn't really matter
87 or newer
I'm beginning not to care which trans I get

Fellro

Staff member
Ha! I was in there asking if you guys did OBD1 scans on Friday.

my day off too... I have a code reader here at home, we'll have to hook up sometime so I can get that for you...

my day off too... I have a code reader here at home, we'll have to hook up sometime so I can get that for you...

It's no big deal, really. The light turned on, I shut the car off, restarted it and it was off. I checked the oil and it was fine but I think my cat is toast so that might be it.

The guy with the Ford sent me an email with more pictures:

f150-1-1-1.jpg

thef150013.jpg

thef150016.jpg

thef150015.jpg

thef150008.jpg

thef150010.jpg

thef150011-1.jpg

thef150014.jpg

thef150015.jpg

thef150017.jpg

I did, however, just find this on craigslist: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/1121085241.html
4x4, Better body, Lower price. I'm really interested in it. Although I know you guys won't like it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well the first truck is lookin' pretty rusty, and all we can see is the OUTSIDE of the sheet metal...

And that last link you posted has been deleted by the author...

Well the first truck is lookin' pretty rusty, and all we can see is the OUTSIDE of the sheet metal...

And that last link you posted has been deleted by the author...

That truck isn't bad by Iowa standards, at least for the price. I would definitely look at it in person, though. I'm going to try and load that page again cause it seems to be cached on Firefox.

Edit: Yep, it's deleted. Damnit.

I think I'm just going to hold on to my Saturn for now, but this kid at school has a Mazda B2200 it's an 88 or so. It has almost no rust, 4 cylinder 5 speed RCSB. I like it alot and it will still get decent mileage and it will be adequate for what I need so I think I'm going to wait and see if he wants to sell it since he mentioned that yesterday.

Fellro

Staff member
Pay particularly close attention to the frame on those, they rot from the inside out. I have seen many otherwise good looking B series trucks break frames due to rust.

I definitely won't buy another car/truck without looking over it from top to bottom. I sorta did that with my car, I didn't notice that the odometer was broken so I didn't get a chance to use that in bargaining.

Ford Truck Articles