Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Intake Air Temperature(IAT2)

Just wondering what temperature range is normal for intake manifold temperature(IAT2, post charge air cooler). I typically see about 35 to 40 F higher than ambient (IAT, integral with the MAF sensor). This is of course after the engine is up to normal operating temperature. If I watch I can see the EGR valve open, I know that is one source of heat. The engine block being the other. Once the engine is hot with a 70F intake(ambient) temperature I am seeing about 115-135F at the intake manifold(IAT2)

I just have to wonder how much oil is deposited in my charge air cooler after 50K miles of operation.

That why I have the CCV routed to the bottom of the cab. before I was getting oil out of the intake elbow form the air cooler.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
That why I have the CCV routed to the bottom of the cab. before I was getting oil out of the intake elbow form the air cooler.
Very easy mod!! I had done it to mine too. I had also made the other side vent as well. I just cut the oil fill tube and put in a t that vented.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

Just make sure not to trap any condinsation in the hose then have it freeze in the winter. LOL Otherwise you'll blow the turbo seal.

Just make sure not to trap any condinsation in the hose then have it freeze in the winter. LOL Otherwise you'll blow the turbo seal.

Yikes!

The more I watch temps it would seem that the intake temperature is really driven by engine heating of the intake manifold. A few days ago temps were in the mid ninety's and I had intake temperatures of about 150F. Dumping hot exhaust(EGR) into the intake would also tend to negate the effect of the charge air cooler and, in the winter, engine drivability may very well depend on those two heat inputs(well maybe not EGR).

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yikes!

The more I watch temps it would seem that the intake temperature is really driven by engine heating of the intake manifold. A few days ago temps were in the mid ninety's and I had intake temperatures of about 150F. Dumping hot exhaust(EGR) into the intake would also tend to negate the effect of the charge air cooler and, in the winter, engine drivability may very well depend on those two heat inputs(well maybe not EGR).
Remember, the pcm is going to monitor IAT2, map, maf, baro, ect and eot then make calculations on injector duty cycles, and egr on/off time. When someone makes changes to hardware in the engine, just imagine how that "wigs out" the pcm.

Ford Truck Articles