Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

it had to happen

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
And on Saturday it did.

I was throwing a change of clothes in the '09 Ranger (53k miles) for a weekend trip, and thought "I should toss a toolbox in the back".

I've carried a real jack, good lug wrench and jumper cables right along, but this is the first under-1000 mile trip I've decided I wanted a few more tools.

Guess it's time to work out a more permanent storage arrangement that'll work for this truck.

Even when the thing was brand-new, though, I found I missed having tools. I always did use 'em a lot more on other people's stuff than my own truck.

(If you're wondering why... One front brake was sticking (pads rusted in bracket) on my way to the fair Friday night, so Saturday morning I cleaned it up all nice and free... Years of Ranger ownership have taught me to perform that particular service in odd places, with limited tools pretty quickly- so my driveway on a nice day was a real luxury.)

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I always pack tools. Normally I always put a across the rails toolbox on mine. they are handy to haul tools ,groceries, extra clothes, etc. Just a pain when hauling larger stuff is all.
The smaller tool kits that come in the plastic injection cases are nice to haul behind the seat and hold almost every thing you would need.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm actually really surprised it took this long.

I've always carried a good toolbox, and I've used it a lot. Rarely to repair whatever I was driving, but sometimes that that, too.

Not sure why I held out so long on this truck...I've missed having tools many times (always for somebody else's car or house).

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Same here I seldom used my tools on my own trucks it was always for someone else. Used them on the tractors and machinery while out in the fields.
Sure is nice to have tools with you than having to go 12 miles to get one one you need it.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I was pretty proud of Jenny. She has a small toolbox with all the essentials stowed neatly in the trunk, along with a box full of the obvious spare pieces one might need on the road.

Me? I just call Nick. :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles