Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Just got smogged... High on HC

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I just got Bertha smogged and she did well except for the 15mph test on the HC-- passed by only 2 PPM. Here's the report:

smog.jpg

From what I understand, this means I'm running a little lean. Is this a telltale sign of any specific problem or do I need to start hunting? It shouldn't be that high-- it used to always pass with flying colors.

Cats are new in the past couple years (Magnaflow), spark plugs are brand new (Motorcraft coppers gapped to somethin' like .055), O2 sensors are new Bosch units replaced a couple years ago...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yes a broken vacuum line can give a lean condition.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I was talking about how the vent's switching in the cab recently got a lot worse and the other day I noticed a pretty loud and constant hiss in the cab right behind the vent controls... You think a moderate sized leak inside the cab could be large enough to affect the engine?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I understand it's all in the same place but it seems like such a small leak shouldn't affect engine operation.... Guess I'm wrong. I'll investigate.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Yes even a small leak can cause an issue.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You're talking about how your leak was behind the passenger kick panel? I'm almost certain my hissing was coming from directly behind the control knobs in the dash.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I just took apart my dash and put my ear to the back of the control panel (where the 3 knobs are) and the hissing noise is definitely coming from the back of the mode selector switch. But all of the vac lines are nice and bendy and healthy, and secured properly to the back of the vac switch. The 5 vac lines connect to a rubbery piece which is affixed to the plastic vac switch via 2 nuts, and if I pressed really hard on the rubbery piece and squeezed it against the plastic the hiss would go away.

Is this normal behavior? I can't help but wonder if maybe it's supposed to hiss when the switch is in the OFF position. As soon as I switch to vent, the hiss goes away... Any help?

Ford Truck Articles