Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Locking Hood Release

I've been driving around this 78 F150 for a couple days and today I decided I should pop the hood and check the oil and stuff. So I tried to open it from just the latch but it wouldn't move so I figured it had a release. I got in the truck and tried to pull the release but it wouldn't move. After inspecting it more I realized that there was a keyhole so I put the ignition key in the there and it unlocked and I pulled it and it released the hood. This is the first locking hood release I've ever seen. Are they common in dentsides?

It's not mine, it's my gf's grandpa's truck and I just wanted to make sure since I didn't know if it was leaking any or not. He changed the oil about a month ago and told me he checked it a couple days before I borrowed it.

It was mostly common on XLT's, and Lariats

People with extra money in their wallets.

I have sold 8 complete locking systems since vandalism went up in NA this last 10 years.

I only have the hood latches left because the cable can break and does on this old option.

Hmm this one is a Custom model. It may have been added back in the 80s though after it was stolen and ended up in Chicago.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The locking hood latch feature was introduced in 1975. It was available as a factory installed option or was available as a kit at the parts counter.

The locking hood cable is the same as: 1975/80 Granada/Monarch/Lincoln Versailles.

The locking hood latch is the same as: 1975/91 Econoline / 1978/79 Bronco.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles