Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looking for a Dent Side

Hey I am looking for a Dent Side for under or around $1000, I am looking for a project truck preferably 4x4 and a Single Cab. I would also prefer a short bed, but that isn’t my first priority. I would also prefer something that is running, and I don’t want something that is terribly rusted, but the usual spots of rusting would be fine. Hopefully the body itself is in pretty good condition, as that is what I am most in search of over anything else, to start. If you could look around for me or if you have seen something that fits some of this could you show me?
kinda new to this

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Finding a decent 4x4 shortbed is going to be tough around that price honestly.

I'm in Missouri for those of you asking. I know it'll prolly cost more than 1k but I am just trying to stay as cheap as possible, mostly looking for a body in good condition if you find a truck that isn't running but has a decent body?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Take a gander through this thread:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23110&page=26

First of all...covering all your wants and necessities aren't going to happen. A decent bodied, running (that's relative) 73-79 truck will run you 1000-1500. Add 4x4, you're up to 2-2500. Add short bed, you're up around 3-3500. To get an awesome straight bodied truck with minimal to no rust, you're talking another 25% premium across the board. And for a turn key, recently rebuilt motor that'll be good for years to come, you're talking probably another 10-20% premium. If you're just interested in the base values, then you'll also need to factor repair costs once you get it. Usually, I budget $500-1500 to be spent on the rig over the first 6 months of ownership. And finally, you may have to consider shipping costs, a coast to coast ship was under $1500 for one of these rigs last time a checked, so less distance should be less money. Trucks from the southwest would be my first choice, followed by southeastern trucks, followed by northwestern trucks.

Disclaimer...this is simply my general evaluation of vehicles in my area. Yes there are steals, yes there are diamonds in the rough, but finding those gems are predicated on your ability to assess.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I will wish you luck; owning a vintage truck is NOT cost effective, and you can regret purchasing one at the base of the chain.

I bought my dent for around 3k and ended up putting another $500 into it within a couple of months. All of the while, I was putting down $300 in gas per month.

So I was already at $4400 spent over 3 months. That's $1400 I could have put towards a better truck with more options.

Save up your cash, get into something you don't have to do much work on, enjoy it sooner.

Yeah Redneckryder something with an in-tact body such as that one.

UTfball- yeah I realize I am asking a lot for a small price tag, and thank you for your opinion honestly, I needed someone to tell me it wasn't possible if it wasn't haha.

And Austin, yeah I know but I really want a project so I'm probably gonna go for it... If I have the money.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^No problem...like I said, there are some of those rigs out there, that someone just wants to get rid of for whatever reason, and it's a perfect rig...but I've never had that kinda luck. And it's also not that difficult to get into a dentside for under a grand...but those aren't typically rigs I'd want to get in to. So, it depends on how patient you can be and how keen of an eye you have for these trucks.

I don't see finding one for 1000 thats not going to need a lot. My 78 F-250 4x4 cost me 1200 and needed alot of work. I had to put a new master cylinder and power booster on it, alternator,regualtor,solenoid, do lots of body work, get it painted, get diff wheels and tires, find emblems and interior pieces that were missing, etc. I also bought all the chrome and stuff, u can find that cheap if u look hard enough, im still yet to get it on yet. I'd look at 3000-4000 by the time it looks decent and is running/driving ok..but u can find something like what i got for around ur price

that one has been for sale for over a year....you might be able to get it cheaper, plus you can sell all the spare parts, and make some money back.....

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
If you haven't found one yet, here's a potential candidate:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2185656446.html

I think it's a '77 and not a '75, but the great condition of the bed and missing tailgate makes me think it had a camper in the bed for most of its life. It's also in the SF Bay Area, but for the money, it might be worth taking a look at...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts