Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Low boost reading

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Im on a trip across a couple states and for some reason i cant push over 13.3lbs of boost. Cruising at 70mpg im holding 6.5 lbs and vgt reading says 44, no movement.

If i crush the gas boost reads 11.3 and vgt goes to 14.

This appears to be true every time i try it.

I should see at least 20 lbs under wot.

Any ideas?

Truck is running good.

Sent from my mudwhistle via Lemmiwinks.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I should also note that the rubber line off the manifold to tge sensor is intact. I cant see any leaks either

blacksnapon

Staff member
You'll get max boost under a load at WOT. If you're already at 70 mph, you wont have as much load when you go wot as you do at say, 10-15 mph.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Tried it at all speeds. Most i get at wot from any speed is 11ish. Im thinking vgt is stuck or i got a small hole in my intercooler or something weird. Like i said. Truck is running ok. Seems to have power. So im a bit confused

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you can get a scanner that can read data, look at MGP (manifold guage pressure). From what you describe, good running and power, looks like something isn't reading actual boost.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Will the scangauge read it?

m-chan68

Certified Ford Tech
Where are you getting those readings from? What is your VGT duty cycle while idling?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
From my scangauge. Its at 44 while idling

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Im thinking the vgt has gotton stuck/worn out. Turbo has been whining for a while now. I have the chance to pick up a brand new stock for 300 bucks, so ill grab it. And even if i dont NEED it. Ill swap anyways. The issue is, im 2 time zones away from home. So ill have to swap it on my next rotation, so ill probably just tune my truck back to stock to be safe and take it easy home.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
What things can cause low boost reading. Theres a sensor coming up from the manifold, i would imagine theres a good chance that could do it. Theres also a sensor that comes off the exhaust manifold that i assume checks for back pressure. Is that potentially going bad?

blacksnapon

Staff member
the exhaust backpressure sensor is mounted to a tube coming off the driver exhaust manifold (a major contributor to boost calculations). Make sure the tube isn't plugged up.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Just pull the sensor off and fire the truck up? Lol

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
No change...other ideas. Can scan gauge test these sensors?

blacksnapon

Staff member
egr valve, sticking vanes on the turbo, map sensor and/or hose, map port plugged on manifold. Any chance its overheating, or "thinks" its overheating?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
No, it never reads over 200. Im starting to think the turbo veins are stuck.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Finally figured it out, the rubber hose that runs from the manifold to the MAP sensor had a cut in it. Looks like wear from the clamp. Cut about 1/2" off the hose and reinstalled. Now its fine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts