Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

macco paint

well i am now thinking paint for old blue. i have been using krylon found a color i really like. but i dont want to spend o bunch of money it is just a work truck.but i want it one color and somewhat shiny, so what do you guys think of macco or earlshibb? i know my spelling is bad. i will do all the body and prep work so it is my fault for the bad prep. so which way would you guys go?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I've seen some good maaco paint jobs and I've seen some that are terrible. I think my truck was probably painted at maaco before I had it. It makes the truck look good, but you can see imperfections up close. If you are able to do the prep and bodywork why not try painting it yourself? I think it is Duplicolor that has that one stage paint that makes it easier to paint. It's called PaintShop or something like that. I would give it a shot if I was trying to save money.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Prep is key...and like Sean said, some Maaco jobs are pretty decent and others are terrible. Just be sure to take it to the 'right' shop...and don't expect the $199 special to be pretty decent and I think you'll be fine.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Absolutely....especially if you're not looking for show quality. I'm sure it will look better than what it is and that is the real goal.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
True story...had an 87 Bronco wanted to sell it, had it up for sale for 6 months starting at $2500 and dropping to $1500...couldn't sell the damn thing. I stripped anything and everything I didn't want paint on, brought to Maaco for the $299 jobber...went from turd brown and tan to all black. Put the thing back together, sold it a week later for $2250. So while I don't advise Maaco for anything above beater/dd status, a fresh coat of paint can work wonders over worn out nasty finished paints.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
True story...had an 87 Bronco wanted to sell it, had it up for sale for 6 months starting at $2500 and dropping to $1500...couldn't sell the damn thing. I stripped anything and everything I didn't want paint on, brought to Maaco for the $299 jobber...went from turd brown and tan to all black. Put the thing back together, sold it a week later for $2250. So while I don't advise Maaco for anything above beater/dd status, a fresh coat of paint can work wonders over worn out nasty finished paints.

Only an idiot would buy a newer Brown/Beige truck.The paint is flatter than well, you know.

I used to hate the colors on my truck, until I cleaned it and saw the metallic. I also realized that my exact colors weren't too common on the 7th gens, so I decided to keep it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well looky what Shaun thinks of you Ben. smilietease

:rolling laugh:

No kidding. I thought I had mis-read it, so I re-read it a couple more times. Then your post confirmed it, it's on like Donkey Kong Shaun.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I've seen some good maaco paint jobs and I've seen some that are terrible. I think my truck was probably painted at maaco before I had it. It makes the truck look good, but you can see imperfections up close. If you are able to do the prep and bodywork why not try painting it yourself? I think it is Duplicolor that has that one stage paint that makes it easier to paint. It's called PaintShop or something like that. I would give it a shot if I was trying to save money.

Prep is key...and like Sean said, some Maaco jobs are pretty decent and others are terrible. Just be sure to take it to the 'right' shop...and don't expect the $199 special to be pretty decent and I think you'll be fine.

I had a friend that had Macco paint his car it came out really nice. I would hate to think what it would look like if all the prep work wasn't done.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
When my dad worked at Maaco, the sheriff's office used to send their old vehicles there before they sold them to Auction.

I remember peeling the decals off of them. Good times.

after talking to my dad he and i decided to go to napa and buy their industrial line of paint it is cheap and harder. and paint it ourselves dad is a very good painter but very anal about his work so im in for a looong process and a great finished product when done.he hasnt painted a vehical in years so he wants practice for my other project we are doing.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
i've never used it myself, but have heard good things about a farm supply paint by the name van sickle. guess it comes in spray cans as well as regular cans for a spray gun. very thick durable paint. good for a work truck or play toy.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
i've never used it myself, but have heard good things about a farm supply paint by the name van sickle. guess it comes in spray cans as well as regular cans for a spray gun. very thick durable paint. good for a work truck or play toy.

I used that from the spray can to repaint the bed of my old works flatbed, if you strip to bare and lay a coat of primer it turns out real good. and the neat thing is you can color match to tractor manufactur stock colors so you could actually have Ford Blue smilieFordlogo
That 1990 FSudperDuty with a 7.3 IDI now sports IH red :D

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Looks decent. I think the knock on Maaco isn't how bad it looks when it's done, but how well the finish is after the first half dozen rain storms or after it's been sitting in the sun a summer or two. I've heard horror stories about these paint jobs a few years later, which is why they're popular to raise the value and get rid of the vehicles for more money.

I suppose, just like anything, if you really take care of a Maaco job, ie: wax it, keep it covered, etc. it will last a little longer. I'm just talking about the majority of their jobs and normal use, from what I've heard anyways.

Ford Truck Articles