Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Milage Update

Just completed a 1000 mile round trip to Ohio and back. Filled up getting on the turnpike and right after exiting back here in NY. 465.3 miles. Used 23.75 gallons for an average of 19.6 mpg. I managed to keep my speed between 65 and 72 and tried not to boost over 10 psig. The road is pretty flat between here and there as well. Straight stock everything on my truck. I am running Motorcraft Cetane Improver and nothing else. This is the first trip I made not hauling anything for a long enough distance to get a good solid number. There are many things that can skew results. A while ago Diesel World Magazine tested several things incrementally (synthetic oil, programmer, exhaust, and tounneau cover, and intake I think). What I got out of that article was the biggest bang for the buck came from the programmer and synthetic oil. The tounneau cover helped but I want that for other reasons and oh by the way it also gets me about another mile per gallon. The programmer, well I just do not want to take the gamble should something go wrong. I don't know it just seems to me possibly affecting the longevity of the engine for 2 or 3 mpg is somewhat short sighted....

http://www.dieselworldmag.com/content/view/88/59/

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That's a pretty good number.

What gears do you have in that truck?

I have the 3.73 non limited slip axle. I was going to have the Eaton Tru Trac installed before this winter lest I have to get hauled out the ditch on the side of the road again....

I just realized that I inadvertently stole the title of this thread from mrxlh in the 6.4L camp. My apologies.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Good numbers! In my opinion, the cetane levels in the fuel are the biggest determining factor for 6.0 longevity.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I wonder what kind of mileage the yellow truck was getting while you were burning the tires off it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I wonder what kind of mileage the yellow truck was getting while you were burning the tires off it.

Depends whether you measure the distance at the front tires or the rear ones. BdayBigGrin

Ford Truck Articles