Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My love/hate relationship with my F-250

so I bought a 79 F-250...been sitting for a while, I told the guy I wanted to hear it run, so we put a shady battery n it, poured some gas down her throat, and she cranked over, and kinda sorta barbled to life, then died. I was cold, I heard it fire, I was good.... I had it flat-bedded home, and got all the stuff to do a tune up on it. Changed the plugs, wired, cap, rotor, fuel filter, battery terminals(we melted one while trying to start it) And put a battery in it. My buddy hit the key.....NOTHING!!! I mean no click, no sparks, just sat there like a chevy on a log....I got my volt meter out, checked all connections, all were good. Lost my temper, threw my screwdriver, and it bounced off the solenoid. My wife hit the key again, and she turned over!!!! I looked at it like a dumbfounded retard, My wife was like "Hey, it works!" I poured some gas down the carb, she hit it again, and she fired!! then it ran out of gas in the carb, and I guess it couldn't pump the sludge that is in the tank, so it died again. She hit the key again, and nothing. I beat the poo out of the solenoid, but it ain't givin up the juice anymore. stupid truck.......'biteme'

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
First off, step back and take a deep breath........

These trucks have a very simple starting curcuit. I'd look at the solenoid first, it may have totaly failed now.

Get some heavy gauge wire (1/2 of a jumper cable works)to jump across the big terminals on the solenoid (MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN NEUTRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). If it cranks, you need a new solenoid.

Truck is auto---it's in park. I will have to try the jumper cable thing. thanx

Just throwing this out there, cause i had this problem. before i converted to manual, i had issues with adjusting the neutral safety switch. if you can wiggle the shifter and it all the sudden starts cranking, your safety switch could out of adjustment. Just throwing it out there.[confused]

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
That is very possible, my dad's 77 150 is that way. It kind of acts like a low tech theft deterant.

Wholeheartedly agree with both assessments. I too have experienced BOTH. I have an in-bed toolbox in my 75 HighBoy. I keep a spare solenoid (about $12), a spare Voltage Regulator ($20ish), a spare fender mounted Ignition Module ($20ish), cap/rotor, etc. because they're cheap, easy to store and when you're in the middle of the dunes, or desert, and it's well NORTH of 110 degrees, the LAST thing you want to do is search for parts !! I've only had to use the spare solenoid once. These are ALL easy parts to swap out and get back on the trail/road. Believe it or not, my "spares" have actually helped more people than they've helped me !! Ha !

so the problem is expanding......now the solenoid clicks, no starter movement. I think the starter bit the dust. anyone know if a 460 starter will bolt up to a 400??

so the problem is expanding......now the solenoid clicks, no starter movement. I think the starter bit the dust. anyone know if a 460 starter will bolt up to a 400??

I don't think your 460 starter will do the trick. You should probably stick to the 351 family of starters. 429/460 usually stick together...could be wrong though.
Have you thought about checking that battery too?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
The 460 starter should bolt right into place. In fact some guys use the factory off the shelf later model 460 starters on their 400's because they're a gear reduction.

Last edited:
The 460 starter should bolt right into place. In fact some guys use the factory off the shelf later model 460 starters on their 400's because they're gear reduction.

SWEET!! I got a 73 F-350 with a 460 that i am gonna begin parting out, and it has a brand new, in the box, never been used starter on the floor. Life is good.

TexasRho83--the battery is brand new...it had better not be a battery problem...

I don't think your 460 starter will do the trick. You should probably stick to the 351 family of starters. 429/460 usually stick together...could be wrong though.
Have you thought about checking that battery too?

460 starter will bolt in.

Adn checking the battery is always a good place to start! been there

Ford Truck Articles