Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

need help on these pics for brake issues

hey new guy here
bought a 99 f150 V8 5.4 4x4 off road package
from a friend and her husband split and she sold it me with no prior info.
Can u guys look and see what u think of these pics and if u can tell if the ball joint gone or tie rod ?

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
  • get-attachment.aspx2.jpg
  • get-attachment.aspx3.jpg
first thanks for the help, and yes it does squeak and sometimes sounds like grinding metal the sounds are while i am driving and sometimes when i apply the brake. Now I looked when I took off the wheel and there is a lot of pad left. Should there be grease like that?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Typically no however, the boots tend to shrink and seep the grease, chances are the balljoints are going out but judging by the rust.....I'd say do the steering parts as well. The could very well be debris such as dirt or mud trapped between the pads and rotors......next time you take the wheels off it would be a good idea to pull the pads and clean the surface of the rotor and wipe the pads off with a lint free rag. Also, check to see if there's an edge on the rotor....they may need to be turned.....

Bigredmariner

Just Another Clown
That grease on the tie rod and ball joint is normal.Since most quick-lubes overfill them. You need to jack up the front end and see if there is any play (slop) in the joints. If it's sloppy it could be time to change out the bad stuff, How about any vibrations in the front end while driving?
Also any vibration in the wheel when coming to a stop?

no vibration driving it or stopping - but i did the pull test and seems like some play. I am new to trucks and wanted to see what the pros had to say from my pics.
It did sit for 6 months without driving cause he left her and she didnt drive it at all till i test drove it.

Bigredmariner

Just Another Clown
Sounds like you should start replacing some worn parts then. If it's not pulling or vibrating then it is not an emergency to change them out. But I would change them as time and money allows you too. I'm no pro, so somebody else can either back me up or shoot me down here on this one. Good luck.

here a update : took it to garage for a estimate, here what they told me I need..all on the passenger side.
Ball Joint
Tie Rod End
Idler Arm
Hub / Bearing Asm
with parts and labor they want $1100 to get the job done.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
here a update : took it to garage for a estimate, here what they told me I need..all on the passenger side.
Ball Joint
Tie Rod End
Idler Arm
Hub / Bearing Asm
with parts and labor they want $1100 to get the job done.

Ouch...if you can do it yourself, or have a buddy help you, you can cut that price in half.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
If not more than half Ben......the unit bearing and hub are gonna give you to most problem it would seem.You'll need a good pickle fork a nice mini sledge and a couple of sockets. Where are you located another member of the forum may be able to assist you....

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
It sounds to me like the hub assembly is bad. they are a breeze to replace on these trucks. that would be where I would start. it kind of vibrates and growls going down the road when these go out.

Ford Truck Articles