Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some technical, anti smog help.

I bought an '83 F-150. First thing I did was remove the smog pump, no smog laws here. Besides removing said pump, what else has to happen. Plug the vacuum leaks, got it. What about all of these $%&#ing wires. Like I said, what else needs to happen. I'd like to get it down to motor, starter, solenoid, voltage regulator, coil and distributor. Need a little help from someone with more knowledge on the subject than I. Even this '83 is a little too young for my tastes, there's stuff under the hood of this thing that I flat don't recognize, like the smog pump, for one. Help.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
If I'm thinking right here it's mostly vacuum lines that run the emissions systems on that truck. Don't think there is much for wiring? Post some pics if you can maybe?

Welcome to the site

I'll try to log some photos

Yeah, maybe photos woulda' been a good Idea. Problem is, I came from a time when being a geek or a dork was in bad taste. Doesn't hardly explain my marriage to my lovely wife Melissa though, the Queen of dorks and geeks. as far as my feelings on sheep, they make good dip.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Welcome to FTF! Once you get rid of all the emissions, it will look like my '83 F250 engine bay (it came from the factory emission exempt)
wires_005.jpg

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
As long as.its a vacuum advance distributor you can pretty much do whatever you want. If it's electronic advance then it's tied into way more sh1t than it needs to be. My 86 was carbed with electronic dizzy. I swapped to a 4 barrell and eventually had to go back to vac advance dizzy to make Iit run correctly.

however if I remember correctly these are 3 wire alternators. I'd have to look to confirm that. So you need those wires. U need the coil wires. Selenoid wiring. Mine also has a butt load of fuses relays and crap on the fender. But I'm betting that's running my efi stuff. Just fire the truck up and start cutting. When it dies...you needed that one :) kidding of coarse

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Ps. I really wish I could see my valve covers....lol

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
As long as.its a vacuum advance distributor you can pretty much do whatever you want. If it's electronic advance then it's tied into way more sh1t than it needs to be. My 86 was carbed with electronic dizzy. I swapped to a 4 barrell and eventually had to go back to vac advance dizzy to make Iit run correctly.

however if I remember correctly these are 3 wire alternators. I'd have to look to confirm that. So you need those wires. U need the coil wires. Selenoid wiring. Mine also has a butt load of fuses relays and crap on the fender. But I'm betting that's running my efi stuff. Just fire the truck up and start cutting. When it dies...you needed that one :) kidding of coarse

hahaha! love the last 2 sentences! :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts