Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New guy with a fuel system Q-'88 F150

Hey guys-this site was recommended to me by a friend, said there was lots of knowledge here. I'm kinda stumped. I have a '88 F-150 that's just a old farm beater. It has the 300 straight 6. I don't seem to be getting any fuel, but I believe it's some kind of electrical thing. Is there anything that tends to go bad sooner that anything else? I guess I'm looking for a place to start. It ran when I parked it last fall. I can't hear any fuel pumps running when I turn on the key, and it will fire up for a second with a shot of starting fluid. Any help would be a great help. Thanks.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
First thing I would do is check fuses and the fuel pump relay. If they are good, you can check to see if power is getting to the pumps. It isn't uncommon for the fuel pumps to go out when having sat for a good bit of time though. Welcome Aboard!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to the site! You came to the right place.

So you can't hear the distinct fuel pump whine when you turn on the key? Do you have dual tanks? If so-- try switching the other tank (they have separate pumps).

If you still get nothing, check your fuel inertia switch. Not sure about an 88 but it MAY be under the passenger kick panel. Somebody else can chime in here.

If that checks out-- check your fuel pump relay (under the hood).

If you're not hearing the fuel pump priming then it would almost HAVE to be one of those things... Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the ideas.

I changed the relay and still got nothing. It does have the dual tanks and niether work. I've not found the inertia switch yet, it's not where the owner's manual says it is. I guess I'll have to drag it into the shop and get into it a little deeper. How does the circut work that turns on the pumps? I understand that there is a pump in the tanks that supplies the pump on the frame. Do both of these turn on at the same time? It probably has a bad wire somewhere.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've not found the inertia switch yet, it's not where the owner's manual says it is.

Look "around" where the manual says it is. I can't tell you off the top of my head where it is in that truck, unfortunately, but I do know that in my Ranger it wasn't quite where my reading of the manual said it was...but it was within 2' of where I thought the manual said it was. [confused]

91xltlariat

Pennsylvania Chapter Member
on my '91, the inertia switch is bolted to the firewall to the left of the brake/clutch pedal. don't know if that is were yours is or not.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts