Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New paint job, first waxing

Black150

California Chapter member
So Cal
Hello all. It's been about 3 months since the paint job, so i'm ready to wax. Mind you, i've never waxed a vehicle before and it's on an all black truck, so i'm a little wary.

I know i need to wash it first, but then what? Should i clay it next? The painter noted to use a non-carnauba wax, why is that? I didn't get a chance to speak with him so i couldn't get any clarification on that.

Any input would be much appreciated.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Yes i would clay the paint after washing then use a good cleaner, then polish and finally a good synthetic top coat.

There is nothing wrong with using Carnauba wax on your paint. Carnauba does not tend to last as long as the polymer sealants but either one will work just fine. Some people will put a coat of Carnauba over the synthetic top coat to give it a more desired look (warmer tone).

For Dark colors i like to use one of two systems:

Claybar
Poorboys SSR1 (Light Swirl Remover) -if needed
Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
Klasse AIO (All-in-one)
Pinnacle Souveran or P21S Concours (Carnauba)

-or-

Claybar
Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish
Meguiars NXT Generation Tech wax 2.0

Meguiars NXT Generation® Speed Detailer or Quik Detailer can be used between waxings to maintain the shine.

If you can purchase a Porter Cable 7424 DA buffer and the appropriate pads, it makes the job alot easier, however these products can be applied by hand as well. The Meguiars products are available at your local Checker Schuck Kragen, Pep Boys etc.

www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
www.autogeek.net/productlines.html
www.autogeekonline.net/
www.autopia.org/
www.superiorcarcare.net/
www.meguiarsdirect.com/index.asp

Last edited:

Black150

So Cal
There is nothing wrong with using Carnauba wax on your paint.

For Dark colors i like to use one of two systems:

Claybar
Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish
Meguiars NXT Generation Tech wax 2.0

Meguiars NXT Generation® Speed Detailer or Quik Detailer can be used between waxings to maintain the shine.

Cool, thanks for the response, i'm glad i asked. I'll probably go with the Meg's products, seems to be a popular choice. Will definitely be using a DA, but have never used one before. Are those the actual product names, cuz that's what i'll be looking for?

And i'm still a little curious as to why the painter would note not to use a carnauba wax.?[confused]

Sorry, i'm so lost when it comes to paint maintenance. I can mess with everything else on the truck without worrying, but not my new paint job.

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Cool, thanks for the response, i'm glad i asked. I'll probably go with the Meg's products, seems to be a popular choice. Will definitely be using a DA, but have never used one before. Are those the actual product names, cuz that's what i'll be looking for?

And i'm still a little curious as to why the painter would note not to use a carnauba wax.?[confused]

Sorry, i'm so lost when it comes to paint maintenance. I can mess with everything else on the truck without worrying, but not my new paint job.

Yes those are the actual product names. Go to one of the detailing sites i posted links to and get a couple of good pads for your Porter Cable DA buffer. The good pads are well worth the money. Nice thing about DA buffers is that it is almost impossible to mess anything up.

Only reason i can think your painter is against Carnauba wax is that it is not compatible with painting operations. All wax and grease must be removed before painting so most paint shops only use products that are paintable. Waxes in no way will harm your paint.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Yes, those are the actual names and I use the Meguiar's products on my truck...makes it shine like it's got a hand rubbed lacquer.....nice deep mellow shine on dark colors.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Example after the first wax under my ownership with only one coat.....

IMG_1371.jpg

blacksnapon

Staff member
Back in the day, I worked at a local body shop as a painter. Using the Isocyanate hardeners in the paint, we would wax them the next day after painting.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Back in the day, I worked at a local body shop as a painter. Using the Isocyanate hardeners in the paint, we would wax them the next day after painting.

Absoulutely, with todays catalyzed enamels you can wax them shortly after painting. Catalyzed enamels are not fragile like the old non-catalyzed enamels or lacquers

Black150

So Cal
Thanks guys, i feel more confident now. I didn't know that about the paint. I guess the only thing left is to get off my ass and do it! On the next cool day i'll smiliegitrdone

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Another thing too i noticed in your other thread the chrome trim....Westley's Bleche White works great for getting the bugs off and makes the chrome shine.....never had it be a problem with my paint but I'd get a second opinion.I even use it on my painted grill without problems.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Honestly, I spray it directly onto my chrome...works friggin wonders on that wheels, tires, windshield trim, anything.I even use it to get the bugs off my windshield...you gotta let the stuff set up a bit before you wash it off....

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Cool, i'll keep that in mind. Would i spray some on a rag and wipe it down, or spray directly?

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL what you get Westley's Bleche White on. It is a very harsh product designed to bleach white walls. It Will stain both coated & non-coated aluminum wheels, and any non-ferrous metal. I would not make repeated or prolonged contact of your paint with Westley's Bleche White, at the very least it will remove all wax from your vehicle and may stain/etch the paint as well. Bird droppings, bugs, sap etc all can damage your paint if it does not have an adequate wax finish, i would definitely not use Westley's around my paint.

If you have trouble getting bug residue off your vehicle with just soap, water & a wash mitt after soaking then, first make sure your vehicle is properly waxed (this includes the chrome & plastic) to prevent foreign material from adhereing to the paint, chrome etc. There are specialized chrome cleaners/polishes if you have an area of chrome that has a stubborn stain. If you use a good glass cleaner (Stoner Invisible Glass is good) and a scrubber you should have no problem keeping your glass clean. You can use Rain-X on your glass if you want to make it easier to keep clean.

Thing to remeber with paint etc, is to use the least abrasive & mildest product available to clean and polish it. If you keep your vehicle properly waxed few things will stick to it.

Black150

So Cal
Okay, spent the weekend doing a full detail to 2 different vehicles. I guess you can call it practice. Meg's all the way!

That clay is freakin awesome, such a difference in the smoothness. I pretty much have everything i need now, just need to get more QD spray. Next time i post in this thread it'll be with pics of my waxed truck.:beer:

Black150

So Cal
Okay i lied, one or two more posts before the truck gets waxed.

Is it normal for paste wax to get really soft in the tub? When i pulled it out of the trunk last night i was able to mix it around with my finger. It's the Meg's NXT paste wax. I'm thinking it was the heat, but it is it okay to apply it to my truck like that?

Anywho, i'll go ahead and post up a "before" pic of my paint.

DSC01880.jpg

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Is it normal for paste wax to get really soft in the tub? When i pulled it out of the trunk last night i was able to mix it around with my finger. It's the Meg's NXT paste wax. I'm thinking it was the heat, but it is it okay to apply it to my truck like that?

Yes that is normal in the heat. It will not hurt anything to apply it when soft, just pay attention to how much you put on the applicator when the wax is soft. If you are not careful you will apply more than you need and waste some of it.

Black150

So Cal
Cool deal BH, thanks.

And thanks for the compliments guys. That pic was right after a wash about a week ago. It's now filthy again, of course.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts