Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New tires 56k warning

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Got new tires for the 94 finally. The Ground Hawgs still had good tread, but they always had balance issues and they were developing cracks in the sidewalls. Since I put more street miles on it than mud miles, I went with Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials.

The Hawgs were 17/40-15.
The Baja's are 38-15.50/15.
Even being a smaller advertised size, they are still an inch taller and the same width as the hawgs.

They ride like a caddilac. You can't tell you're driving a lifted truck. I hope they wear as well. At $360 a pop, they better.

We mounted them tonight. It's dark and rainy and I'm about 3 sheets to the wind, so the pictures aren't all that great. I'll take better ones tomorrow.

0803220001.jpg

0803220003.jpg

0803220002.jpg

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Looks good brother. Yea a good tire brand always runs bigger then it says. Sweet. Hope you didnt balance them 3 sheets to the wind lol.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Tired that size always get bb's.
Equal will clump if it gets moist, so I put in about 8 oz's of bb's. Works like a charm.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have read about that, how does the BBs work? They wouldnt just all stay at 1 point and make it shake super bad? Like when you spin a bucket of water over ur head?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
That is partly the idea. They go to the point of imbalance and stay. The ones that aren't needed for weight spread out. It works killer. It is called dynamic balancing. Big trucks use the same system, except with a product called Equal (made for balancing). Thats the best explanation I can do in my current state of budweiser stupor, lol. Hope this link helps. ;)

http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/how-equal-works.aspx

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ahh. Yea you did good explaining it. lol

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Truck's lookin' good as always Tony. Suuurrrre wish I could drop $1300 on tires at the drop of a hat :rolleyes:

Last edited:
nice tires and a new tip on the bbs thing-will see if any mudders up here are using them-lots of rednecks with big tires-will have to check on that tip-thanks Tony

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
wish we didnt have to run flares with those sized tires. Nice fine up here. Ow well.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Be happy you can run 'em at all, Larry.

Maine won't let you run any tire more than 2" larger diameter than the largest factory tire offered on that truck in that year. (Example- buddy has an '86 Chevy half-ton. Biggest tires Chevy put under a K10 in 1986 were 31x10.5, so the tallest tire he can run legally are 33s.) For a while, the wouldn't let you run oversized tires at all if your rig was equipped with ABS, either.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
We put that equalizer powder in mine, it works ok but I think when I go to the 35's we are gonna do bb's. I was 7oz. out on two tires after breaking them down 3 times. So bb's might help cause the powder didn't.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yeah Doc, the powder will clump up if there is any moisture in the air. That's probably what happened.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Curious, Tony- do you try do any balancing with weights if you're adding the BBs, or make any effort to match the tire and rim up for the best balance?

Or just dump a bunch of BBs in and fill it up?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I do spin the tires on the rims to get them as close as possible, but I don't use weights any more. Too many times I have lost weights out 4 wheeling and had to re balance.
Also, if you're out wheeling and tear a lug off, or just wear one down a bit, it will throw the tire out of balance if you just have weights. With bb's or equal, it automaticly re balances.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Thats cool. Sucks that you can only go 2 sizes bigger then stock. What happens if you go bigger? What if you sand off the size...cough cough...I mean get curb rash in the spot where the size is?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts