Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New tires 56k warning

Tony, should this be something Skan should look into with his 33's? How much weight in bb's per tire?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thats cool. Sucks that you can only go 2 sizes bigger then stock. What happens if you go bigger? What if you sand off the size...cough cough...I mean get curb rash in the spot where the size is?

Well, when it comes time to get an inspection sticker, if the inspector passes your truck with tires that are too big and you get caught running illegal, he gets a $10,000 fine and can lose his license (which results in lost income, of course). Not worth it to him for the $12.50 you're paying him.

Or if you alter the vehicle after inspection (i.e. get it passed with smaller tires, then put the bigger ones on) that's a summonsable offense.

If you're an inch over, you might get away with it, maybe. Much bigger, though, and you run the risk of a cop with an attitude making your life very difficult. Depends where you live and what you drive how your chances are. Here, in a Jeep, you'll probably be OK. Pickups are iffy. Farmington area, I wouldn't even THINK of running anything illegal on a pickup- just about guaranteed to get busted. Up north, most anything goes unless you piss off the wrong person.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Tony, should this be something Skan should look into with his 33's? How much weight in bb's per tire?

For mine, I use about 8 oz per tire. Bigger tires need more weight. I've gone as much as 16 oz on 44's. I don't think Chris's are big enough to have balance issues like the taller ones do. He could try it though.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't think Chris's are as aggressive a tread, but I know my friend with the Chevy needed an almost absurd amount of weight on one of his 33" Swampers.

When he gets back tomorrow, I'm going to have to ask him what he knows about using BBs- can't remember if he ever got the tires balanced to his standards or not.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You'd be surprised Tony... These damned tires are way out every time I take them in to get balanced... Probably a combination of bigger tires and a crappy brand name :headbang:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
1 of my 36's took like 10oz of stick on weights. I hate to see hammer on so I never do it. All of the other tires balanced out ok. I do the stick on in the inner rim then hammer on the back lip. Usually works out well. I remember at my old job some mud tires used to piss me off, so id be like its ok ill put it on th back. Hahaha

Down here pritty much anything goes except for tint. DMV passed my 36's. Guy was like you know there sticking out, im like not that much, he was like lookin at the fender real hard and was like. I love your truck so im a let it slide. I got to put cats on my stang for inspection next month. WOW like a week away.

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Nice ones, what happen to the old oens :D

ive used bbs, and that black sand looking stuff on semis. It works.

Oh yea ive done that, The ones that balance out real high, or you had to stick a bunch of wieghts on, they always went on the backs, but on dualies that wasnt possible. 90% of those are like 7-13 ounces, Ive see 30 to.. After sliding the tire around.

My old boss when we were slammed, on a front wheel drive car, he would balance two and those would go on the front and the once he didnt balance went on the back....:suspicious:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
My old boss when we were slammed, on a front wheel drive car, he would balance two and those would go on the front and the once he didnt balance went on the back....:suspicious:

Thats skechy caus it only takes like 3 sec to balance a tire. On the smaller cars we would just spin put the weights on and then put on car, no recheck.

The best was when the handle for the balancer broke and you would have to balance the wheel for the handle missing, then balance for the tire. It sucked, we had alot of come backs caus my boss was too cheap to fix it. So I finally did.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well you can get them inspected at places. Its lift Hight more than hight of tires(But can't stick out x of Inches) But if over 4 inches the cops start to bother you some if get out rural areas. If I ran acrossed State to Bloomsburg 4x4 Jamboree. They could Have nail me. I know they did allot of out of stater's going to show.

As for the straight axle . I did one once. years ago . Now I would have to get reconstructed title to get inspected. Least I don't have emmision (just visual)Yet . 40 miles over hill has it .

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
alot of guys with old beaters and big wide tires will get corogated tin, and ribbit and screw it on to there fenders and bend it a bit to cover the tire...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
As promised, better pics. I have about 300 miles on them now and I love them so far. The ride and handling is great.

0804010001.jpg

0804010002.jpg

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
how come the grille looks like on both bottom ends the strips are bent? the truck is looking good other then that

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Got new tires for the 94 finally. The Ground Hawgs still had good tread, but they always had balance issues and they were developing cracks in the sidewalls. Since I put more street miles on it than mud miles, I went with Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials.

The Hawgs were 17/40-15.
The Baja's are 38-15.50/15.
Even being a smaller advertised size, they are still an inch taller and the same width as the hawgs.

They ride like a caddilac. You can't tell you're driving a lifted truck. I hope they wear as well. At $360 a pop, they better.

We mounted them tonight. It's dark and rainy and I'm about 3 sheets to the wind, so the pictures aren't all that great. I'll take better ones tomorrow.

0803220001.jpg

0803220003.jpg

0803220002.jpg

Want to send me the groundhawgs?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Way to bring the ghey! 'tool'

O yeah, nice tires yer gunna have to give us feedback after the first mud trip

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts