Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

no love for the 390??

ok so the plan is to build a 390 on the cheaper side for my 55 and im looking through my summit catalog and the only thing i found for my motor was some flat top pistons. all the ford performance parts i found were for 302-351 family and the 460 family wheres the love for the FE family? granted summit is more of a chevy catalog anyway since 75% of it is chevy parts but still. Is there some other catalogs i should be looking through for the FE parts or is there nothing really you can do to them?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Parts are out there for the FEs.

There is very little that you can buy from summit for the Y-block. Things like distributor caps are there, but you can get them in any local parts store.

You can, however, buy just about anything you want for the Y elsewhere (aluminum intakes, aluminum heads are going into production now, forged pistons, aluminum water pumps, roller timing chains, headers, cams [even custom ground ones], and just about any other internal part is available)

There are suppliers for the flatheads which are even older. You just need some help finding the suppliers for the FEs. Personally, I have no clue. I have never owned one.

ya i checked out edelbrock they have the basics thanks Dragogt
that rpm website has some stuff thats a good website ahh man dont tease me texasnomad i wish i could afford a crate motor i would be haulin ass right now
i did find a couple other websites like this one http://www.fespecialties.com/HTML/FEParts.html and there in sac about 15 minutes away from my house also found this 6 pack set up http://www.hptrends.com/BK-1.jpg i like the look of it but it doesnt have a price so might be expensive

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
also found this 6 pack set up http://www.hptrends.com/BK-1.jpg i like the look of it but it doesnt have a price so might be expensive

I would say about 5 to 700 bucks.
Six packs are really cool but I've heard they are more for nostalgia then for real road use.
Dual quads are more for real driving use but Six packs are really awesome :D

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
this is some thing i've been looking in to getting when every I start my new rebuild I'm getting tired of Carbs.
And if your making a truck that will be a life time keeper you might want to think about investing in one of these fuel systems. its a bit pricey but it will fit on any engine on any make of Intake manifold and you still have that cool look of a carb.
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/produc...systems/powerjection-1-cast-satin-finish.html

wow ok i jsut got an email back from the company that makes that 6 pack set up and it costs $2575 :flipoff: i might be wrong but i dont see how its worth that much

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
wow ok i jsut got an email back from the company that makes that 6 pack set up and it costs $2575 :flipoff: i might be wrong but i dont see how its worth that much
Well man we are talking about a custom built system and its a pro job not some hacked together job you know what they say you get what you pay for.
Thats why I'm getting one of their set ups i'm sick of dealing with these local "A hole" machine shop jobs and having a engine I paid nearly 4 grand for and having it break down and fall apart with in a few years..
I Know we all have a budget god knows I have a small one :D but I would rather wait a few more months of even years to have it perfect and top quality.

Last edited:
ya i checked out edelbrock they have the basics thanks Dragogt
that rpm website has some stuff thats a good website ahh man dont tease me texasnomad i wish i could afford a crate motor i would be haulin ass right now
i did find a couple other websites like this one http://www.fespecialties.com/HTML/FEParts.html and there in sac about 15 minutes away from my house also found this 6 pack set up http://www.hptrends.com/BK-1.jpg i like the look of it but it doesnt have a price so might be expensive

No sweat man, hope you find what your looking for.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
ok so the plan is to build a 390 on the cheaper side for my 55 and im looking through my summit catalog and the only thing i found for my motor was some flat top pistons. all the ford performance parts i found were for 302-351 family and the 460 family wheres the love for the FE family? granted summit is more of a chevy catalog anyway since 75% of it is chevy parts but still. Is there some other catalogs i should be looking through for the FE parts or is there nothing really you can do to them?

I have a set of 13:1 pistons waiting to go into a 390 when I build another one. I find my FE parts at the local swap meets.

ya thats true it just shocked me that it would be so much
Well man we are talking about a custom built system and its a pro job not some hacked together job you know what they say you get what you pay for.
Thats why I'm getting one of their set ups i'm sick of dealing with these local "A hole" machine shop jobs and having a engine I paid nearly 4 grand for and having it break down and fall apart with in a few years..
I Know we all have a budget god knows I have a small one :D but I would rather wait a few more months of even years to have it perfect and top quality.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

The way I see it is you want somthing done right do it yourself. I try to build all my own stuff.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
problem i have is this is my learning project so a small rookie mistake could cost me huge haha and im broke haha

Buy the parts and ship it all out to me, I'll have my machine shop guy do his thing then i'll build it for you. I love FE engines, haven't been able to blow one up yet.

Ford Truck Articles