Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Non Ford problem....

but this is the best place I could think of to ask it, my Ford dosent have any problems because it is a Ford. Vehicle is a 2000 Nissan Sentra, automatic with a 1.8 liter. I used the car Monday to go to work. The car had been sitting a week prior to this. I was almost at work when the car surged, the RPMs dropped and the O/D light flashed once than everything went back to normal. On the way home it did this twice. Yesterday on the way to work the car did this almost the whole trip every 10 minutes or so, except this time the O/D light would flash a bunch of times, than back to normal. While at work I decided to check everything out and discover that I was 1.5 quarts low on fluid so I added fluid, everything else looked ok. On the way home this morning the dang thing is STILL doing it, except its now back to the 1 O/D light flash, and it only did it 3 times. I should also note that my commute one way is 75 miles. Any ideas? I wont drive the car anymore until I get this resolved. Thanks for any help.

I agree with what he said. Check the codes. If you don't have a code reader...go to your local Auto Zone. They will read them for free. NOTE: Do not let them sell you parts while there. They like to throw parts at something you might could fix at home.

Write down the codes and report back to this thread what you find.

I had the CEL come on on an old ranger I had. They wanted me to buy a new this and a new that right on the spot. NOPE!

I wrote the codes down...checked with some friends (on an old forum) and they told me where to look. I had some wires unplugged under the cab near the bell housing. All it took was a couple of seconds and it was free.

I have a list of the codes from a Nissan forum. I will take the car to AAP when I have a free minute, I have a sneaking suspecion that it is either the TPS or VSS. I didnt know that a OBD code reader could also read a fault from the transmission. Thanks for the help guys. Tis my work whip, I hate that car but since its out of service I am starting to miss it.

Okay, I went to bring the car to AAP this morning to check codes. Started car and it ran for about 3 seconds than died, with a buzzing noise coming from the passengers side dash, the same noise it would make when the RPMs would drop and the O/D light would flash. I restarted the car and it did the same thing, now it wont start. Any ideas on what to check/replace to at least get the car started. I have a sneaking feeling that this is related to the O/D flashing situation. Thanks again.

Ford Truck Articles