Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil in coolant

I'm working on a 1999 Expedition with a 4.6 engine. There is about 1/4 inch layer of oil on top of the coolant in the surge tank.
Can someone tell me where this most commonly comes from?
Thank you!

No the oil doesn't appear milky. It's quite dark, 1 qt low and needs to be changed tho!
The coolant in the jug that's under the layer of chocolate brown oil is nice and green.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Oops... Chris is right. You can get coolant in your oil with an intake leak, not the other way around.

I second him on the head gasket theory then.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Oops... Chris is right. You can get coolant in your oil with an intake leak, not the other way around.

I second him on the head gasket theory then.
External leaking oil cooler. You got a filter inside the lf fender?

Not sure what u mean by a filter inside the LF fender...
I see only one set of cooler lines going to the radiator. I would suppose they are for the transmission.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Some of these trucks have oil coolers mounted on the bottom/driver/front side of the engine block. Do you have an oil cooler mounted between the filter & block?

Ryan

I was just looking at alldata. Did not realize that the cooler is mounted by the oil filter.
Haven't looked yet to see if it has one there. I will check it out.
Thanks for the info!

go for new head gaskets clean the heads really well and inspects for cracks in the heads especially in the ports where the oil and antifreeze travel close to each other. Normally head gaskets will do this but if the engine has ever overheated it can cause the heads to warp and or crack allowing the anitfreeze to mix with oil or vise versa.

It turns out the owner of this vehicle had the engine rebuilt at an indie shop 15000 miles ago. The shop agreed to repair it for the owner for free! So I'm outta the loop thank goodness!

Thank you all for your replies. I sincerely appreciate it!

If you have any General Motors questions, feel free to ask me. I've been a tech at a Chevy/Buick dealership for 32 years.

Thanks again!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts