Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oil off LineX

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've got a significant (maybe a pint to a pint and a half) amount of "old car drivetrain ooze" in the bed of my Ranger, which has a LineX, plus a DeeZee rubber bedmat on top of that.

I haven't tried cleaning it at all, yet, but I'm guessing it won't just rinse off, even down at the local spraywash.

Any tips? Much as I like the smell of used gear oil in the morning, one day I'm going to want to haul something that I won't want to get all oily...

Ugh... Used Grease is about like cigarette butts for the smell lol...
Dawn liquid, bro. Just like the hair a year or so ago- does a great job! I'd initially apply full strength and the let the water activate it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ugh... Used Grease is about like cigarette butts for the smell lol...

Yeah...it really is remarkable how strong the smell is just walking past the truck.

Wish I could've got it to leak onto the underside...I'd leave it there as a rust-preventative.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
This is the load that leaked. Basically a complete (spare) drivetrain for what's sitting next to it on the trailer.

Squatted that Ranger down pretty good, but it hauled it like a champ. (Not quite like it wasn't there...but a non-issue for the 130 miles I hauled it.)

Last edited:
Awesome! I recall I hauled 20 Railroad ties in one about 15 years ago... rode like a lincold towncar, lol!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Grease Lightning. I use it on my greasy car shirts, my grease stained hands and it pulls the stuff right up.

Greased lightning is good, but keep it away from your aluminum!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Permatex Fast Orange hand cleaner removes oil off of my pretty good, why not the truck?!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Might wanna give Gojo a try too.

This is the load that leaked. Basically a complete (spare) drivetrain for what's sitting next to it on the trailer.

Squatted that Ranger down pretty good, but it hauled it like a champ. (Not quite like it wasn't there...but a non-issue for the 130 miles I hauled it.)

What kind of car you got there on the trailer?

Last edited by a moderator:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's a 1925 Dodge Brother's touring car that my friend just bought. It's his second (both '25 Specials), but this one is intact enough to be drivable.

EDIT: Here's the front of it:

I'll probably give the Dawn a shot, since I've got it. Doesn't look like I'll get a chance to even try it 'til next week, but it shouldn't hurt the LineX any. Gojo is a decent hand-cleaner (though I prefer the Fast Orange), but I don't think it'd be as easy to apply with a stiff scrub brush as the Dawn will be.

Last edited:
Thats a good lookin car. looks a bit bigger than model Ts to. good luck with the grease i my grandpa used to use keosene or diesel or some kind of solvent but i highly doubt you want that on your linex so im not much help ha ha

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thats a good lookin car. looks a bit bigger than model Ts to.

They're smaller than they look, but bigger than a T.

I'm a Ford guy, but I have to say that (with the exception of the brakes, which are only two-wheel), a Dodge Brothers is a much better designed, better built, and better driving car than a Ford Model T or A. (A's have four-wheel brakes...but they're still a little scary when you need to stop in a hurry.)

They're smaller than they look, but bigger than a T.

I'm a Ford guy, but I have to say that (with the exception of the brakes, which are only two-wheel), a Dodge Brothers is a much better designed, better built, and better driving car than a Ford Model T or A. (A's have four-wheel brakes...but they're still a little scary when you need to stop in a hurry.)

Yeah i imagine if you rebuilt the brake systems on a model a and over hauld the steering theyd be pretty good. but both my model a's are warn out, especialy my coupe. its left front break drum is out of round so it goes into death wobbles and its just very unpleasant. the pickup is a bit better tho. are the dodge brothers pretty easy to find parts for?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah i imagine if you rebuilt the brake systems on a model a and over hauld the steering theyd be pretty good. but both my model a's are warn out, especialy my coupe. its left front break drum is out of round so it goes into death wobbles and its just very unpleasant. the pickup is a bit better tho. are the dodge brothers pretty easy to find parts for?

If the brakes are good on an A, they'll lock the tires- once or twice. They get hot and lose effectiveness faster than modern cars, though.

On that death wobble...I don't mean to scare you, but my friend's A pickup had a death wobble under braking that ended up being a cracked frame- it rotted out behind the motor mount on the passenger side. Once we got it swapped out, I can't believe it held together enough to drive at all- when he took out the motor mount, it didn't even have enough strength to hold together- and we'd already removed the body and drivetrain.

Parts for the Dodge aren't as easy to find, or as cheap, as parts for the A's (which is why the A is still top of my list for what I'd want to own), but he's found some suppliers that have a lot of the parts he figures to need. About the trickiest part, from what I understand, is the starter-generator unit. They're rebuildable, if you've got a core, but I guess it's not very easy.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts