Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Out of my element...passenger car tires

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So I hop on the website for the site sponsor, Tirerack, to do a little passenger car tire research. Lots of good info, but I figure most manufacturer descriptions will rave over their own product. I just don't know what a good brand or what tire will yield the best tread wear. I'm looking for an all season tire in the 225/50/17 selection (for the Lincoln). I'm assuming I don't need ultra high performance tires...even though the site classifies the OE tires to be just that, or is ultra high performance just a new watered down buzz phase??? I've rolled right by 50k with the current Michelins...and could probably squeeze another 5-10k out of them. Is Michelin the go to for passenger tires, or is there an equal or better tire out there??? As far as tread wear is concerned who is the best bang for the buck. Brands and tread patterns would be greatly appreciated.

BTW...I know it's been discussed before...but how does the Tirerack process work again...if I buy from their site, they'll get the tires to a local distributor???

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So I hop on the website for the site sponsor, Tirerack, to do a little passenger car tire research. Lots of good info, but I figure most manufacturer descriptions will rave over their own product. I just don't know what a good brand or what tire will yield the best tread wear. I'm looking for an all season tire in the 225/50/17 selection (for the Lincoln). I'm assuming I don't need ultra high performance tires...even though the site classifies the OE tires to be just that, or is ultra high performance just a new watered down buzz phase??? I've rolled right by 50k with the current Michelins...and could probably squeeze another 5-10k out of them. Is Michelin the go to for passenger tires, or is there an equal or better tire out there??? As far as tread wear is concerned who is the best bang for the buck. Brands and tread patterns would be greatly appreciated.

BTW...I know it's been discussed before...but how does the Tirerack process work again...if I buy from their site, they'll get the tires to a local distributor???

They'll do it however you want.

I have a friend who can mount tires, so I have them shipped to my house and throw them in the car/truck when I'm ready to go up there. They do give you the option to ship to any number of tire installers as well. If you don't know the shop that is mounting the tires, they may be hesitant to mount some mystery tires you brought in.

Ryan

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Michelin is the way to go.

blacksnapon

Staff member
On the side of all passenger tires are ratings for treadwear, traction, and temperature. Say you start with a base treadwear number of 100, a tire with a number of 200 will wear twice as long. Most good tires are up in the 5-600s.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Not sure what part of the country you're in but the Nokians I have on the CRV are awesome!
Rain and snow....no problem. Last winter was the first year I ventured out when we had snow/ice, this Feb I crossed the pass and zinged by 4X4's.
Highly recommend them~

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Just to confuse the issue, there are no fewer than 14 different models of Michelin that will fit that Lincoln, with a pretty fair price spread. I have had the best luck with Michelins- Primacy's for summer, X-Ice for winter. I lean towards a Grand Touring configuration- less noisy, and ride smoother than the Performance types.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

I'd go Michelin MXV4 as opposed to the energy plus. Had those on a ...cough...cough... Honda Accord. Slippery, noisy, horrible traction in wet, let alone snow. They use a very hard tread compound that's designed specifically for the best fuel mileage. Unfortunately, some driveability gets compromised.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts