Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pinion angle shims

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just got some pinion angle shims from David (mustanginca). I feel kinda bad, talked him into buying them then he didn't want up needing them. So I bought them from him :) I figure it might make my shudder from a stop go away ONCE AND FOR ALL.

But they're 6* shims and now that I've got them here I'm wondering if they're too big :( Whats the general rule of thumb here?

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Although I can't recall what a good pinion angle is I can tell you right now 6* seems like it would be way too big for your application.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Crap... Well I've already got the shims here... Would I be causing any harm if I used these? Also keep in mind that I've got a 2 piece driveshaft with a carrier bearing in the middle so I can also play with the angle on the transfer case joint a bit too.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Wouldn't hurt to try.. depends on if you're wanting to change it back otherwise. I think your best bet is to research what would be the best angle to achieve and get yourself a gauge and go from there.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Yea, that'd drive me nuts. I just want to rid myself of this wheelhop. I need to get myself a re-gear (4.10s) and a limited slip. Not to mention the mild lowering/sway bars and possible traction bars. That should solve it.. :D

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You can probably play around and get it right. Ideally, the driveshaft ends should be at equal but opposite angles.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You can probably play around and get it right. Ideally, the driveshaft ends should be at equal but opposite angles.
Right, thats what I've been told... So I'm thinking maybe I'll install these 6* shims, and it'll point the pinion right up towards my carrier bearing (to make a nearly 0* angle at the pinion) and then I can remove the shims from my carrier bearing so that the angle at the transfer case is nearly 0*, pointing straight out towards the carrier bearing... The only steep angle would be at the center ujoint... Is that bad?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You would want the rear pinion to be equal and opposite to the center u joint.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You would want the rear pinion to be equal and opposite to the center u joint.
Oh okay. I thought I wanted it equal and opposite to the front joint... Well then crap, how come my shudder got better when I shimmed down my carrier bearing? Cuz that straightened out my center ujoint to nearly a 0* angle and the rear still has a bit of an angle on it...

DSC00889.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts