Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

powder coated engine parts

my freind knows a guy that has a mobile powder coat business. what do you guys think of powder coated engine parts i.e valve covers, side rocker covers e.c.t. have any of you guys powder coated engine parts does it hold up? im thinking about having some of the parts on my 300 powder coated with a color called smokey chrome.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
DOn't have your stuff powdered clear...it'll burn and turn brown. Also keep it off stuff that you don't want to retain heat. Beyond that...it's a great idea for brackets, bolt-ons, etc.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I had a good long talk with a powdercoater here and was told no problems with engine block, transmission etc.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Would you want to powder coat them though? The block mainly or would it trap excess heat in?

After talking with and seeing a few vehicles here, I've not heard of any issues.
My intention is to do the axles, frame, transfer case, transmission, engine...as much as I possibly can.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm now considering the same duncan

It seems to hold up real well to being driven. Guy across the street has a 60's GTO with the frame powdercoated, after 5 years it looks like it was just done.
It seems cost effective also when comparing it to epoxy paint etc.

So far I have my alternator/bracketry and few other things like bolts powder coating chrome and some black.
It doesn't cost me anything as a friend is a shop foreman at metal company

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
^^ Wish I could say the same!..it will be far, far from free!! :rofl: :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Duncan what about heads?

Supposedly they can be done, although given that my heads are aluminium...no chancy..want to show off the aluminium :D

well guys after reading all you posts i think im going to have a few bolt ons done. hey you guys that are doing blocks and transfere cases and stuff post some pics. please

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
well guys after reading all you posts i think im going to have a few bolt ons done. hey you guys that are doing blocks and transfere cases and stuff post some pics. please

When they are done, there will be pics..lots :D smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would like to polish them though (exterior)

Ford Truck Articles