Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Loss 2004 F250 6.0

A friend's truck was acting up pretty bad one day and it kept getting worse and worse as the week went on so he took it to the dealership.

As it turns out, they said he had to have the turbo and 2 o-rings replaced.
He got it back a week ago and noticed a HUGE power loss, and they said they did some ford recall on the truck. Could it be possible that they gave his PCM a bad flash or set the boost down, somehow?
The turbo does not spool up nearly as well as it did before and we can feel a huge difference while pulling a load uphill.. like its a gasoline engine..
any ideas on how to fix this or maybe change the effect of the recall? Or does this sound like a dealership botch?

blacksnapon

Staff member
There has been issues with a dealer not "completing the flash". This means in effect, after doing the reflash, they are supposed to get it up to operating temp, then clear the KAM (keep alive memory). After clearing, let idle for five minutes or so. The turbo, and egr has a relearn "state". With a scan tool hooked up, there is a couple of "pids" that are supposed to meet or exceed a certain level before giving the vehicle back to the customer. One is vgtlrn, which shows if the vgt solenoid in the turbo has learned the proper strategy. The other is vgtle, which is vgt learned events (needs to be at least 5). Without a scan tool, get operating temp, disconnect both batteries for five or six minutes, reinstall batteries, then let idle over five minutes. This should get you pretty close.

Thanks, Vince, I'll pass that on. Is there some kind of TSB associated with this, since you said there have been "issues"?

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
..disconnect both batteries for five or six minutes...

Once the negative battery cables are disconnected, if you touch one of the negative cables to the positive cable, this will discharge the filter capacitors in the PCM, so you don't have to wait.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Once the negative battery cables are disconnected, if you touch one of the negative cables to the positive cable, this will discharge the filter capacitors in the PCM, so you don't have to wait.
That will work as well, techs, when giving advice (remotely,shall we say) have a tendency to give a "safe" method, because of the unusual amounts of "I was trying to clear the memory, and the batteries just blew up!". And "you mean you have to disconnect both of them?". I Think everyone on here has enough sense to do it right, but old habits are hard to break.

I'm not so sure I like that insinuation, there, hehe....
Ahhhh yes... I don't have to look far in my small circle of life to see those that are taking a risk just n tying their shoes of a morning!:drool::drool:

I passed the info on, in printed form to my friend. He doesn't have internet, and the world is a safer place because of it:rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts