Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power-point, cig lighter don't work

I have a 1992 F-150 with the straight six. I plugged a small air compressor into the power-point to pump up a low tire. Well, I forgot about it (the engine was running) and when I went back to it the compressor had stopped. The plastic male part that goes into the power-point was melted. Now I can't get either the power-point or the cigarette lighter to work, even though neither fuse was blown and I tried new fuses in place of them. I'm referring to the passenger compartment fuses. Is there a fuse or relay in the power distribution box under the hood that could be the problem?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Might be that some of the melted plastic is in the area where the plug goes keeping it from making contact.
As far as the tool goes, the end of the plug should unscrew, and there is usually a glass fuse inside there

I checked the power-point socket on the truck, and there's no debris from the plug in there. The compressor I was using doesn't have a fuse in the plug; I wish it did, because then this wouldn't have happened. The problem is that the cigarette lighter doesn't work either, and I wasn't using that at the time.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
if its anything like the First Gen Super Duty's the actual "power point" is the most fickle thing to work... ive pretty much given up trying to make it work in my truck and went to just using the lower one...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Check the ground on it. like sparky said, it is a really cheap set up.
IMHO I would replace the socket. It is only tin, and it makes a bad ground.
Never use anything that pulls any kinds of amps off a power point. use clamps off the battery, and an inverter.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts