Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Previously beadlocked tires, no more...issues???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I came across a set of Baja Claws at a screaming deal. They were previously bead locked. I'd put them on a not beadlock rim, at normal pressures I wouldn't really worry air leaking. But before I hit a trail, does anyone have a guesstimation how far I could/should air down before I might start experiencing air leaks???

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did the screws go all the way through the bead?

My bet is if they air up, and hold air, they will be fine down to 15 or 20 lbs

That's kinda my hesitation on the tires, I've seen some hold air with no problems and others that leak like a sieve...typically depending on whether the PO knew what he was doing or not when installing the locks.

Cool. Learned something today.

Yeah...they're an offroad 'tool'. where I might air down to 12-15psi (before I start to worry about blowing a bead) for better traction with no bead locks...I've seen guys run 3psi when riding rocky trails. Double beadlocks are just that, one on the outer bead, one on the inner bead.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have "tubed" X-bead lock tires before. Ruins the wheel tho, you have to drill the valve stem hole out to 1/2" so the tube stem fits. Also, you have to load the tube in the wheel by hand, and bead the tire by hand.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Damn...not really interested in that...I'm itching to get something on my Turbines, and don't wanna deface them. The guy is going through a divorce and basically giving anything he has with value away...so I thought I might capitalize...still might though. 37x13.5x15 claws with 75% tread for $400 with the beadlocked rims.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If the rims work on your truck you have a winner. $400 won't even do one tire/ wheel combo....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know...and I woulda, but they're 6x5.5.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Buy em, if it comes down to it you can triple your investment or more by reselling.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'd get them. There's still a bunch of 6 lug chebbys out there. Put them in the back of the truck and go sit by the off road trail, they'll be sold by the end of the day for double that!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I like the way you think...I made the offer a this morning, and now I have to go pick them up some time.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
OOOOH Money in the bank.....

Unless you buy his whole rig, lol

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Nah...just the tires. I absolutely hate buying new tires, so I always go used because for 25% less tread, you can typically buy them for no more than half of what they cost new. However, every time I seem to be in the market...all the tires I would buy for myself are gone. I'm trying to get my hands on a set of Pitbull Rockers...but can't seem to find any that pop up...people like them apparently.

Ford Truck Articles