Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im looking for a project. Most likely a truck, i have a truck to play in the mud with, so i dont think i want to build another one.

To be honest i have a few ideas, but want to here some from you guys...
It would be something to keep me occupied with my time and money for some time...
Of course i will do a build thread here, and of course it must be a ford and be ford powered...
Only exception is i am pondering a 4wheeler, with a streetbike motor...
But i dont think i know enough about cycles to pull that off and be succesfull....

So lets here it, what you guys got?

Well I'd like something NAPCO from the 50's or early 60's to restore. Problem is finding a unmolested truck.

More immediate in my future is a muscle truck. Looking for a clean 80 to 86 regular cab short wide. In two wheel drive. It is so hard to find a clean two wheel drive up here. Most are 4x4. Making a road trip south to Oklahoma and Texas this year to find one. Put a big healthy small block, auto trans, big and littles on 15 inch Cragars, stock height. Lots of power. Going to look like a stock truck with nice wheels.

My 82 F-150 is moving up the waiting list to go to the custom shop. She's getting a complete frame off overhaul. Going to look stock w/ a 3 inch lift and slightly larger tires. Healthy small block and a 4 speed stick. Good logging road rig.

I'm also looking for anything odd, unusual, or interesting. Stuff like stick shift Broncos, 67-72 4x4 Suburbans, Chevy Apache Napco 4x4, vintage Powerwagons, REO Speedwagon.

My taste in trucks runs a pretty wide spectrum. I'm not a Ford only guy. I'm a light truck enthusiast.

Just have to add, early 70's International Travelall 4x4. With a 5 speed. That's on my list of trucks to own. Those things are tits!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I have had friends that have done the old chevy short wides and what nots...
But i haven't actually had an older ford for a project truck, would love to get ahold of a power wagon. But there expensive, and not easy to come by...
Not the one i want anyway.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
This is what i would LOVE to get my hands on a TRUE power wagon.

47-RtFr.jpg

That's the kind of Power Wagon I want.

The Chevy short wide is done to death. That's why I'm doing a Ford.

Maybe a Dodge after that. Hardly see Dodge's of that vinage.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Mark, while that is very neat. No thanks.

Mike... what town what gas station, send me specifics in a pm if you will, ill go look for myself.

Thats the problem, I cant remember where its at, its ether Abernasty or Sunray, i'll be in those areas this week and next, so I'll let you know.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
That would be pretty sweet....
More to think about...
Im doing some reserach now on some power wagons...
If i can find one for the right price... That will be my next project, but its not likely i dont really ever STOP looking for power wagons, always got my eye's open for one.

Well Don since you seem somewhat interested in a Dodge allow me to present this as a possible project.

Find a really clean one of these:

87-Dakota-Hood-Dom-1-01.jpg

Then find a wrecked one of these:

2008-Dodge-Viper-SRT10-ACR-20.jpg

Remove the V-10 from the Viper. Put a twin turbo kit on it. Crank out about 1200 horsepower. Then cram it and the six speed into the Dakota.

You'll have a fast, fast, fast truck. Those 80's Dakotas weigh nothing.

Of course the high speed handling characteristics may leave something to be desired. I recommend a roll cage and 8 point safety harness.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts