Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Radiator Flush/Cleaning

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As some may know, I picked up a super cooler radiator out of a 79. Anybody have suggestions of internally cleaning this radiator while it's out before I get any crud in my system? Run hose water through it?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Id do that and then I heard the other day on tv a good trick is to put some white vinegar in it and just plug the holes and let it set. Ive been meanin to try it with the 85 cause its clear full of crap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the tip Dan.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd imagine no more than 3:1 water/vinegar mix

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The Model A guys I sometimes hang out with use that "CLR" stuff you see advertised on TV...not sure how diluted, though, or even if there's any difference in materials between a '30s radiator and a '70s one that would make that a bad idea.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would run hose water through it first. See if it comes out clean. If it looks dirty then maybe try the other ideas.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright ran a hose through the radiator and it was surprisingly clean, had some build up, but that'll buff out. My question is, where the tranny line fittings are totally packed with crud. I haven't pulled them off yet to see if it's just the fittings or if it goes further in that that, but if it doe go further in, how in the hell do you clean out the cooler lines?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would think it is just the fittings. If it is actually full of crud I have no idea what you would do. And if it is filled with crud I'd like to see what the transmission looks like.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This is the SC radiator I pulled, I don't have a clue what the tranny would like like. I've got a feeling it's just the fittings, kinda looks like wasps nest clay or something. Just wanted to be prepared is all, gonna head out soon to get back to work on it.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
What did ya find out????

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What did ya find out????

I ended up using one of my mom's old 'Mircacle Gro' mixers and used a 50/50 CLR/Water mix. The deposits on the top side are definitely gone and I'd assume it got a good bit of everything else out too. Then I flushed it with a garden hose for about 30 mins and everything came out clean. Then I replaced the fittings and everything seems to be in fine working order. Only issue was my stupidity because I only finger tightened one of the tranny cooling lines. Tightened that bad boy up and everything is good.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts