Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear end gears

Hi guy,I was wondering if 3.54 gears would help my gas mileage any of make it worse.I have 4.10's know.I have a 400 with a C6 trans.As of right know running 33x12.50's tires.Thanks Tony

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
With 33's, I would stay with the 4.10's. The taller tire has effectively reduced your axle ratio to a 3.8. A 3.50 ratio would actually be a 3.20 with the 33" tires. I wish that Ford would have used a 3.73 in the earlier light trucks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd say it would help a tops of maybe .5mpg at hwy speeds...otherwise you'll never see a difference. As Doug pointed out, your truck already has a lower effective ratio, you drop it any more and your foot will be through the floor trying to get you to move and that 400 will be sucking more gas.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
A 265/75/16 would be between 31" and 32" tall(31.6"), which would give a slight improvement in the axle ratio(closer to a 4.10). But like Ben said, mileage improvement would be negligible. We're talking about a brick-shaped vehicle. smilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
FYI Speaking very truthfully my 79 F250 4x4 has the 3:54 gears,and 39" x12.50x16.5 mudders with the stock 460/Beefed up C-6 i am getting 12mpg's consistantly.Grant it i have cubic inches in my favor to move the vehicle.In all Honesty tho,the truck takes off fom a dead stop quickly and impressively without a great deal of throttle input.at highway speeds she's taching 2200 rpm's and has plenty of passing power should i need it.for a heavy lifted rig,I cannot complain with 12 mpg.most peeps told me i would be lucky to see 7-10 mpg's generally speaking.

Ford Truck Articles