Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

remote keyless entry

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Can anybody explain to me why this feature ever got to be as popular as it is?

New truck has it. Think I'm gonna take the fob off my keyring, though, and throw it in my sock drawer- I just don't see the point. You still have to have your keyring in your hand to unlock the doors, and then to start the engine once you get inside. Just doesn't seem enough of an improvement over actually twisting a key to unlock the door to justify the space the thing takes up in my pocket.

*I do understand, though not desire, the keyless systems some new cars are using. (Thinking in particularof a co-worker's '09 RAV4, but I know there's plenty of others, too.) I'd absolutely hate it, but I see why it's appealing.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
That's how I felt, until I got used to it. NOw I catch myself every now and then aiming my fob towards my front door to unlock the house when I come home at night.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I can see myself getting used to it.

I've gotten used to a lot of things that I wish I hadn't though...

*I actually do kinda wish I had it on my '97, now that I'm thinking about it. Door locks are sticky...I remember a few times having to toss the keys over the roof to the passenger to let us in, because I couldn't get the durn door to unlock for me.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'll tell you what I DO think would be really useful, that I'm pretty sure this truck doesn't have (but I haven't bothered to check)...being able to unlock all (both) doors from the driver's side, with the key.

Depending on who your passenger is, it can kinda make you feel bad making them wait while you open your door, climb in, and unlock their door if it's bitter cold or raining.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
haha they do its called keyless entry! sorry couldn't help myself I clip my keyless on the keys that hang from my belt loop

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hit your unlock button twice Ian.

Yeah, I know how that part works. I don't wanna carry this dumb clicker, though.

I wanna do it with the key, like you used to be able to (maybe still can) with European cars (VWs, Volvos, etc)- turn once to unlock the one door, twice to unlock them all. Same deal when locking, IIRC.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Outside of the obvious:

1. Key in truck, running, warming up. Lock doors with FOB (in your hand).

2. Raining/snowing, running through the parking lot with stuff in your arms.

3. "Panic Button" for, errr... unique situations. (also handy if you can't find the dang thing at Wal-Mart).

And why, oh why, did it take them so long to come up with "remote start?" Ford's still behind on this.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Yeah, I know how that part works. I don't wanna carry this dumb clicker, though.

I wanna do it with the key, like you used to be able to (maybe still can) with European cars (VWs, Volvos, etc)- turn once to unlock the one door, twice to unlock them all. Same deal when locking, IIRC.

So you set the alarm off accidentally at the store, eh? :p

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

theres quite a few mfg's that still do it... gm's been getting into it and if i remember right one of the land rovers i got to work on once had it... but that one i think had 2 different positions. turned it so far it unlocked one turned it a bit further itd unlock both...

3. "Panic Button" for, errr... unique situations. (also handy if you can't find the dang thing at Wal-Mart).

only downside to the panics anymore is people have started ignoring them for that exact reason.... isnt so much from them "forgetting" where they parked them but just not bothering to remember where they parked them.. so first thing theyd do when they come outta the stores is set the cars off to find them... so the whole point of it being a "safety alarm" anymore is gone simply cuz people are ignoring them now...

i do agree i wish ford would catch up on the remote starts though.. we get alot of use outta moms car with it..

some ways i wish theyd go back to using 2 separate keys for doors and ignitions...i do like the double sided keys cuz it allows for more combination on the doors.. but still wish there was a 2nd key just for the ignition...

Blade

Backwoods boy
some ways i wish theyd go back to using 2 separate keys for doors and ignitions...i do like the double sided keys cuz it allows for more combination on the doors.. but still wish there was a 2nd key just for the ignition...

my truck has the 2 keys and it took some gettin used to but id rather have that then the one key also.

Blade

Backwoods boy

my truck has the 2 keys and it took some gettin used to but id rather have that then the one key also.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

my current truck has 3.. 1 for the camper shell, 1 for the doors and 1 for the ignition... but that thing is an 87.. so doesnt count as new i guess lol..

but my stang only has one... and both my parents vehicles have 1 for theirs as well..

i know theres a few cars out there now that the keyfobs built right onto the key itself.. they give you a little ring on the back to hang your other keys onto.. but that all in 1 thing just bugs me... prior to my stang i always had more than one key... one thing i do like about the newer keys is they seem to be making them thicker than they use to also it seems...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So you set the alarm off accidentally at the store, eh? :p
Nope. Not since I was 16, with my step-mom's Jeep.

More like I'm sick of pulling my keys out of my pocket and having my knife, cell-phone, or iPod get tangled up in the keys and then fall on the ground.

i know theres a few cars out there now that the keyfobs built right onto the key itself.. they give you a little ring on the back to hang your other keys onto.. but that all in 1 thing just bugs me... prior to my stang i always had more than one key... one thing i do like about the newer keys is they seem to be making them thicker than they use to also it seems...
Rented a car like that. Confused the heck out of my mother when we first got the keys, because there wasn't a "key"...and she couldn't figure out how it would start the car until we got in and she saw the dash.

*The new keys are thicker because they have the PATS in 'em...and they're expensive, too. Speaking of which, I need to get one or two more for this truck- Dad learned the hard way that you always need THREE, or you're out even more money when you lose one, since it means getting the dealer to program them for you.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
More like I'm sick of pulling my keys out of my pocket and having my knife, cell-phone, or iPod get tangled up in the keys and then fall on the ground.

thats one of the reasons why i have those in seperate pockets... car keys tend to go in one pocket and cell phone in another... i dont carry knives but i carry a gun.. thats on my belt or a shoulder harness depending on the time of year..

winter time keys will be in pants pocket and phone will be in the coat pocket... but same time i dont have 50'000 keys on my key ring either.. my vehicle keys are always on a key ring by themselfs.. and only have the ones for the vehicle im in too...

Rented a car like that. Confused the heck out of my mother when we first got the keys, because there wasn't a "key"...and she couldn't figure out how it would start the car until we got in and she saw the dash.

*The new keys are thicker because they have the PATS in 'em...and they're expensive, too. Speaking of which, I need to get one or two more for this truck- Dad learned the hard way that you always need THREE, or you're out even more money when you lose one, since it means getting the dealer to program them for you.

the really confusing ones are the ones that are spring loaded so.. the key part will tuck up inside the fob till you need turn it over then ya press a button and it pops out..

yeah i know thats one of the reasons they did that... but i like it more for my reason that they wont break as easily when the locks get stiff in the winters... lol..

i know they can cut you a 3rd as a dummy spare to get into the vehicles but i thought they couldnt program more than 2 to the vehicles?? or was that the older pats systems?

Outside of the obvious:

1. Key in truck, running, warming up. Lock doors with FOB (in your hand).
Unless Ford has changed their programming since '97, don't try this. :nono: I had to sit on a convenience store parking lot in the hot sun and beer getting warm, waiting for the tow truck operator with a "slim jim" to get me into my running truck.

I had my pup riding with me and was on my way home when I decided to stop at a local convenience store, dash in and grab some beer. It suddenly dawned on me that it was hotter than a biscuit outside and didn't want to leave Scooby in the heat, couldn't take him in, didn't want to leave the truck running, unlocked and inviting for someone to take. So I said to my self, self?, why don't you take the fob off of the key ring of your running and air conditioned truck, lock the door with Scooby inside, dash into the store and purchase the beer, return to your truck and hit the fob and roll on? So that's what I did, short of the final roll on. I hit the fob and nothing.....I tried it every which way......and nothing. I was later told Ford disables that when the engine is running for the drivers safety. So innovative techno thugs can't transmit a signal and enter your vehicle when uninvited.

Oh, btw, thanks to Ford's bumper to bumper 36mo. warranty that includes lockout,......no charge!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^You know that means I'm conducting an experiment tonight, right Brad?

emtzach

i get paid to do this
and nothing. I was later told Ford disables that when the engine is running for the drivers safety. So innovative techno thugs can't transmit a signal and enter your vehicle when uninvited.

HMMMM...... my 05 F 150 let me have the truck running and still lock and unlock with the remote? wonder If I was just lucky or if it wasnt working right. I always did this i actually never took the key out of the truck honestly

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
i know they can cut you a 3rd as a dummy spare to get into the vehicles but i thought they couldnt program more than 2 to the vehicles?? or was that the older pats systems?

Think you've got it backwards- you NEED two working keys to program a new key. Meaning if you have only the two that came with the car and lose one, you're SOL.

After that experience, Dad had four keys programmed for that '00 Focus, and also has four to his '07.

My '09 Ranger locks and unlocks with the clicker, when the engine is running- doors open or closed, fob inside or outside the truck, BTW.

I'm still not sold on the convenience of using these things, BTW- I understand how to unlock the door with it when my hands are full...but I can't manage to get the door open without emptying out one hand. At which point, I might as well have just used a key anyway. THIS is where I cannot manage to follow the logic on these devices.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts