Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Reprogram for new rear gear?

speaking of speedo gears and stuff, does anybody know where i can get a new speedo gear that will adjust my speedo to compensate the 33" tires i have? i KNOW its off.

...but you could TELL the guy behind the parts counter what gear ratio you put IN , any tire size changes etc and he'd hand you the solution. No second-guessing.

Already answered!

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Lol that wasn't THAT long ago. Pre 93 that was how they did it, before the turned the RABS sensor into a multifunction RABS/VSS.

But cmon, this method is better anyways, you don't have to buy any parts or dissemble anything!

Musta been pre-92, Skan. Got RABS/VSS on my '92, and it's all original stuff under there. I'm the OO, so I know it's all original.

So I know there is a speed sensor on the rear differential. I was thinking about swapping out gears to a 3.73 if I can muster up the knowledge and guts to learn how. If I were to put in the 3.73 gears, is there a way to reprogram the computer to make speedometers read correctly? In the same swoop, would there be a way to program the size of the tire also (since it is not stock)?

Ryan
To answer your question about gears you do not have to do anything to the speedometer if you just change the gears.
The only time you have to reprogram the speedometer is when you change tire sizes.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
okay, good deal... I need to do it for the 265/70/15 tires I put on this fall. It's not much of a difference, but enough to make me second guess myself.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
To answer your question about gears you do not have to do anything to the speedometer if you just change the gears.
The only time you have to reprogram the speedometer is when you change tire sizes.
Ahh I see... So MY response wasn't quite GOOD enough Bill?! Thanks a lot :p

....ooooooO=K; just for my input/output for this: I just went all out and installed one of these "SuperLift TruSpeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator's" .....
Overview of =
The SuperLift Tru-Speed a speed-sensor calibrator that restores proper signals to computer-controlled trucks/SUV's running larger (or smaller) diameter tires and non-stock axle gears. It works with any electronic speedometer and hooks up in line with the speed sensor located on the vehicle's transmission or transfer case. TruSpeed alters the speed signal and its source, so all speed-related vehicle systems - including the speedometer reading, ABS function and transmission shift points - are corrected with any non-stock tire diameter. TruSpeed not only corrects the speedometer reading to within 1%, it can be re-calibrated an infinite number of times if future gear ratio and/or tire changes are made to your vehicle. In addition, the TruSpeed can be programmed for two different height settings to those who make seasonal tire changes or who frequently run two different height sets (i.e. street, show or race tires).
Features =
For Vehicles w/Tires Taller Or Shorter Than Stock
Corrects Erroneous Speedometer Reading

......If ya know how to take down/apart your dash, then this should be of NO problem's of install for ya ! ! ......When i did this, i also did the job of placing an off/on switch for that "dinger/chimmer"smilietease for which was under the dash.....YelloThumbUp

...........again, just my input/output for this concerning of the year of my truck.......:beer:

mr. Charles

Ford Truck Articles