Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rotten egg odor

blacksnapon

Staff member
The standardizing of fuel quality that the government has undertaken, doesn't just go to diesel. How has the gas side of it been going in the rest of the country? Any rotten egg odors (sulfur) when the cars pass you? Power issues? Lets hear it!

Fellro

Staff member
That's been always the case, it seems, some of the emissions of the cars just make you gag... haven't heard mush about it being a widespread problem, but it's hard to tell. Not with any of our vehicles so far, but then some of them don't have cats...:wasntme: However, one we picked up had one plug fairly quickly, but we have no history, and it was an abandoned vehicle... ( my dad goes and picks them up, and expects me to save his rear by fixing them...)

blacksnapon

Staff member
Theres been times that I would pull off the cap on a customers vehicle, and the fuel would smell like an old man's fart!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Many vehicles with fuel gauge issues at times were caused by sulfur build up on the fuel sender card. Chevron's Techron actually works to remove it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Fuel guage issues? Mine is goofy on the explorer. Sometimes it seems sort of Ok, but at other times....

Exxon gas is all that is around here. Texaco, Conoco, and the independents all buy from the same guy. Yes...one guy (former county sheriff).
You might try the Techron additive. You can get it at walmart or from parts stores. Don't let them sell you something else (its not the same).

On our gas vehicles I have been using the ethanol mix for some time... Works well on the newer ones, but lousy on the motorhome and the van, may she rest in pieces...

The local stuff is 10%. Just about got my still together out back, tho...

blacksnapon

Staff member
More than 15%, starts working on the fuel lines, diaphragm in the fuel pumps, carburetors, rough on injectors. It'll even strip coatings from the inside of fuel tanks (if they have it)

They have eathenol mix up in your area? Hmm...

Have not seen it around here (yet).

I don't think the 56 would like that stuff very well.

You got it... you just don't know it, lol.... It's the "premium" at Caseys. yours is at 403 W Broadway St, West Plains, MO - (417) 255-8407.

You're probably right about the '56. on my 82, 84 and '89 it seemed to drink it faster
and fluttered at idle.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts