Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Simple question

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
What's an easier situation to light up the tires?

- From a dead stop, with no brake
- Doing 30 mph

Obviously, powerband has something to do with it. But if a car has 450 rwhp in the mid to upper range, it should still be able to break the tires loose from a stop.. not just bark them.. right?!

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm not sure I understand your question... But it's easier to break the tires loose from a dead stop because of inertia. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted on by external forces (Newton). With the truck at rest, it doesn't WANT to move forward, so when you jam the gas you're fighting the inertia of the truck (wanting to stay where it is) to get it moving. When doing 30mph, you've got forward inertia so you have to have enough power to overcome that forward inertia before you can break the tires loose. Make sense?

Think of it this way... You're standing still in the middle of the street and you try to start running at 10mph IMMEDIATELY from a dead stop -- it's gonna take some major effort to get your body moving to 10mph in a split second.

Now try gradually moving to 10mph in steps -- first 3mpg, then maybe 8mph, and up to 10mph. You didn't feel that same torque in your legs this time because your were using your forward inertia towards your advantage, rather than fighting it all in one shot. Kind of a loose connection with that analogy but the same rules apply whether in a car or on foot.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
What's an easier situation to light up the tires?

- From a dead stop, with no brake
- Doing 30 mph

Obviously, powerband has something to do with it. But if a car has 450 rwhp in the mid to upper range, it should still be able to break the tires loose from a stop.. not just bark them.. right?!

It depends on the HP. My mustang could break loose in any gear anyspeed. The easiest way is from stop though, just mash the gas and they should break loose. Should be able to brake stand it and spin them as well.

If you are at a dead stop, then you floor it in first gear the RPM will get up to the powerband in no time.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Lol, yea.. I agree with everything that's been said. Me and Mike (Bronco) were having an argument over it. He was trying to tell me that this customers car with 450rwhp could break 'em loose at 30 mph no problem, but would only bark from a dead stop. Didn't really make any sense to me, and he's stubborn. smilietease

Michigan
Sure scientifically yes i understand but heres my viewpoint saying ive been called out.

1. This car is made for a higher powerband. Seamed gutless down low but once she gets high 1st and shift it into 2nd you are gone.

2. had srt tires on it (pretty damn wide) maby the tires was warmed up idk.

3. Wasnt a squak, it broke em loose for maby 5 feet, minimal smoke, but from a 20-30 mph roll and you stand on it, it would go sideways and roast em till it hooked up or untill you let off the gas.

Im imagining being rolling about 30 mph your RPM's are higher than when they are at an idle, also with brand new heads, and cam, computer STILL learning the new tunes, its probably not running at its peak.

Seamed like the ones we did that had high stall converters was even worse. Really wine those things up and let em eat. Crazy fast.

Also gear ratio is unknown to me. Maby 3.55

Michigan
also reving from 0 to 6-7 grand is insanly fast.

Fellro

Staff member
Usually, sitting still is the ticket, but not always. Good brakes like a 3/4 ton axle can be too much, but let it roll out and nail it, they can cut loose. My old Camaro did ok sitting still and just nail it, but roll out and nail it, it really let them go... Stall speed and engine powerband also have some to do with it.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Who knows, lol. I coulda sworn you said a bark (sqwak, as you put it), Mike. smilietease

But that's beyond the point anyways. Even being a high-revving engine it shouldn't have to be at 30 mph to light 'em hardcore. I can see if it barked them, and then a couple seconds later when it hit the powerband it blew the tires off.. but c'mon, it lights them up easier at 30 mph than off a standstill?

Michigan
all im saying is this car it was, nuff said. Sorry it didnt work out the way you wanted to think it would have in your head.

Hell i just wish my truck would bark em off the line.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
May not be able to spin the tires, but it'll squeal the heck outta the fan belt...

Michigan
Skank i think that would be your trans slipping lol

Michigan
Muhahahaha

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts