Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Special frame for 6.9?

I was hoping to do an engine swap into a supercab frame(in the future)...I was hoping it was just a frame mount swap..
I was reading something about early 90's and special diesel frames.
Is this going to be a non bolt in situation?
Thanks

Fellro

Staff member
It will mostly depend what motor was in the frame before, as the 5.8 frame and maybe (have to check to be sure) the 6 cylinder frame have a hole for the oil filter. 460 and diesel frames do not. The 460 has mount towers that bolt/rivet on the back of the frame cross, so for the diesel you simply remove them. The diesel mounts right on top of the cross, and has a plate that bolts on top of the frame for the mount. The bolt holes are there already to bolt the plate on.

However, if you have a 5.8 frame, you can make it work, just have to make a mounting strip for the diesel plate to go on where the oil filter hole is. This only affects the driver side, the passenger side is the same on all configurations.

Fellro

Staff member
351W frame:
351W_frame.JPG

460 frame:
460_frame.JPG

The tower behind the cross will come off, it is riveted though. The diesel will bolt through the oval hole with a plate over the top of it all.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the pictures. I was able to see a coworkers f150/302 today.. looks the same as the 351 pic. I am assuming the majority of supercabs are going to be 302/351 set ups. That's the idea. Find a supercab roller..judt a thought for now.

Fellro

Staff member
Hard to call, We have 2 super cab diesels, and I have one that had a 300, am thinking it did not have the frame hole. The crew had the 460.I am sure there are super cabs with 460's as well, hard to say what the most common setup was.

Fellro

Staff member
I would think it would be similar. I don't think you will find the cab configuration will dictate the motor size too much. Might actually find there are more super cab 250's and 350's than 150's.

Fellro

Staff member
Got a look at the 6 cylinder frame, it does have the hole in the frame for a filter, but has a plate over it for the motor mount. I t has a tower mount behind the frame, and a plate over the hole that seems like a motor mount as well...

Got a look at the 6 cylinder frame, it does have the hole in the frame for a filter, but has a plate over it for the motor mount. I t has a tower mount behind the frame, and a plate over the hole that seems like a motor mount as well...

I got a look at two f150's in the boneyard. Both 302 89 and a 93. Both had the hole.
So it looks as though unless I find another diesel or big block frame I will be dealing with this hole on the swap.
Thanks

Ford Truck Articles