Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

speedometer?

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
anyone know of a way or some kinda kit that'll let ya run an old trans like a C-6 with a cable speedo on a 92 that has an elecric speedo?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've seen this topic come up from time to time, and I'm pretty sure the final verdict is no. I've also read that some guys try to rob parts from later C6 VSS equipped Broncos...dunno how that's worked out though.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
I think I'm confused as to what you're asking.

Are you just trying to get a c6 to work on your 92? If so all you need to do is put it in and hook up a vacuum line to it.

The other issue is the stock electronic speedometer, right?
-what are you replacing the 8.8 with? a sterling 10.25 has a VSS. A ford 9" does not, but there are speed rings that go after your tcase that can be had.

I'm not positive that the only thing that runs the speedometer on these trucks is the VSS though, someone else will have to confirm that.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
well the intent is to get rid of the 302 and e4od and the 8.8 and ttb and replace with a 429 C-6 and a 9" with a 44 up front. i got everything figured how im gona do it exept for the speedo,not shure how im gona make it work. what are the speed rings you talk about? i havent herd of them

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Ahh, I see.

Well like I said they make rings that attack between the tcase and drive shaft and work like a VSS - however someone else will have to confirm for me that the VSS is the only thing that drives the speedo, you'll have to search around on pirate or something like that to find them. Maybe an aftermarket cable speedo could work for you, not sure how hard it would be to find one though.

Fellro

Staff member
The speedo does run by the rear axle VSS alone, not sure if the ECM still has to be active. I think mine is inactive, but is still along for the ride. I pulled the main fuse out so as to shut off the check engine light, since I took out the 460 and put in a Cummins mechanical pump motor... You could possibly use a cable with the old type cruise sensor. That is what Gear Vendors uses for a speed sensor for their computer control. Otherwise you would need to find a gear driven VSS to run off the tailshaft of the C6.

Doing a little searching, I found an '88 uses both the cable and a speed sensor driven off the output shaft. Look at the single cable system. It uses the cable drive and piggybacks the vss in the mounting.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You can get a speedo sending unit out of an early 90's crown vic. They go into the tranny in the same spot as a cable would and have the gear on them. Just stick it in your tranny and run your vss wires to it. It's a pulse generator, the same signal as what you have. You may have to change the nylon gear on it to correct your speedo, if you can't by reprogramming it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yes I am. It doesn't look like it comes with the drive gear though. I got mine out of the junkyard.

Fellro

Staff member
That is the same thing that I looked at on the trucks as well. Doesn't appear to be limited to the C6 trans either.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The one I used came out of an AOD and went into a C6. I guess for simplicity of cables, they used the same size drive.

You can get a speedo sending unit out of an early 90's crown vic. They go into the tranny in the same spot as a cable would and have the gear on them. Just stick it in your tranny and run your vss wires to it. It's a pulse generator, the same signal as what you have. You may have to change the nylon gear on it to correct your speedo, if you can't by reprogramming it.

What is involved/where can I get a gear so that my spedo is correct when i put bigger tires on my Bronco?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You might be able to electronically calibrate yours, but if not, you can get speedo gears from ford. Different tooth count gives you different ratios. If you need your speedo to read faster than what it is, go with less teeth. If you need it to read slower, go with more. You can also grab them from the junkyard. I know, I'm a cheap sob. :D

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I think you have to go trial and error. When I was looking for a chart, I was told none existed. The factory only had info for what combos came stock. Later on, I ended up ditching the stock gauges and went digital. That set up is self calibrating.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anybody happen to have a conversion chart?

I think you have to go trial and error. When I was looking for a chart, I was told none existed. The factory only had info for what combos came stock. Later on, I ended up ditching the stock gauges and went digital. That set up is self calibrating.

What you need to do is figure out what your effective ratio is with new tires. There's a formula but I don't know it off the top of my head. Then there is also a formula by taking whatever your effective ratio is and throwing in your new and old tire size and then it gives you how many teeth you need. Taylor, if you really need this, shoot me a PM and I'll do some digging tomorrow.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts