Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ssr super swampers

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
ey does anyone have experience good or bad with these type of tires? (35-14.5-15 radials) ssr super swampers, i heard that the tread wears fast? any info would be nice.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Radial line from Super Swamper does typically have a softer rubber compund than other radials. That being said, I've had quite a bit of experience with the SSR's. As a matter of fact, I've got a set of 37x12.5x16.5's on Thunder as we speak. I've had a couple sets of the 37's and a couple sets of the 35x14.5's. To be honest, they're nowhere as good offroad as I thought they would be, but they are between a MT and a TSL, so you get a decent mix. Beyond that, you can expect right around 40,000 miles out of them...I believe my worst was 37k and my best was 42k.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
the mileage was better than i expected, i was thinking around 20,000. but besides that were they loud? for radial tires.?

Shoot...I get 20k out of my Boggers. They weren't as loud as TSL, but they were louder than a MT. They're basically a baby swamper. When you're going for a comparison, think TSL, but when it comes to performance it's probably tops out at 75% as good, noise is probably only 75% as much and tread life is double what a bias tire would be.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I liked the SSR's I had on my dually. 38 12.50 16.5's with 500hp and around 1000ftlbs of tq and I got on average 35-40000 with em.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
finally got them on and love the look and performance. i dont really hear them at all. but on these tires do you have to balance them? i heard you dont. ??

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You don't ever HAVE to balance a tire, but it typically makes the ride smoother. But some tires are more within round than others so need less balancing. But the only time I ever heard of balancing not being recommended was when you bring your tire within perfect round. Basically, that shaves the tire to spec and will wear perfectly barring any disfigurement to the tire. With that tire and size, it would be recommended to add 6-8oz of bb's if you balance dynamically, my preferred way of balancing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So you're talking stick ons vs. lead weights. I'd take lead over stick ons any day. I always sling em off somewhere.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Same force, same problem...and now you have to worry about caliper clearance.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ooooooooh...never tried that, but I figure it's still the same force. Personally, I was never pleased with lead or stick ons, so that's why I went with dynamic balancing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Tread wear has a chance of being weird and there's also a good chance of feeling a wobble because the tire is out of round which is what the weights fight.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
hmm. i guess i can have them balanced. dont want to chance it like that.

Have them dynamically balanced (bb's) and you'll be happy. Your tires should only need 6-8oz of bb's per tire.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts