Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steppin up to 5.13's Notched X Pin Shaft needed

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Im probbaly stepping up to some 5.13's soon and am looking at "NOTCHED X-PIN SHAFT RECOMMENDED" for the 8.8 rear.
I usually can answer all my own questions, but not this time:headbang:...what does this meen and what does it entail?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm of no help here but GEEZ! 5.13s!? If you're running tires big enough to warrant gearing like that, then I'd venture say you should upgrade your axles...

How big are the tires you wanna run?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I might be getting a sweet deal on an 8" suspension lift here...and then ima run either 38.5x15 GroundHawgs or 37x12.5" Super Swamper SSRs

Yes im alittle worried about the D44 TTB specifically but it will only be temp until i find a D60 front that doesnt cost my left nut to own...(junkyards are my friend!) With the little 302 i shouldnt have to worry about breaking stuff that much. But if i start breaking shafts wheeling then i will just get some Bronco Graveyard chromos and it'l be fine.

And i'l have 1 ton axles in by the time its time for a 427 stroker smiliepeelout

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So in the meantime you're going to drop $1000+ on a set of 5.13s and associated parts (carriers, rebuilt kits, etc) for these 'temporary' axles??

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
635 bucks for 5.13s front and rear, im skipping the usual carrier rebuilds and can recycle the 5.13s to either the new axles, or other projects later. They will probably be in place in these axles for a year max

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
635 bucks for 5.13s front and rear, im skipping the usual carrier rebuilds and can recycle the 5.13s to either the new axles, or other projects later. They will probably be in place in these axles for a year max
Don't forget you'll need to replace the front carrier with that gear swap and POSSIBLY the rear, not sure what the cutoff is (if any) for the rear.And those gears are not going to be the right size for your new axles, they'll be too small.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Isn't 4.10's the highest you can go without replacing the front carrier? I know the backs ok.

Mike

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I thought the front would be ok with 5.13's but not 5.38's i guess i better verify that.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Last edited:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Scott man...no sense in dropping a grand into a temporary thing......I'm on a budget and I know I couldn't swing that for something temporary...but geesh....if you've got that much dough to throw around sling some my way lol.....you're probly itchin to get the lift on ain't ya?just keep it to the side for a bit till you track down the axles you want......and FYI a buddy of mine has a 92 Ford on 40 inch ground hawgs...it WAS on 1/2 tons other than the SAS and that "little 302" as you so gently put it spun the hell out of them.....and it still does.....no matter how ragged it is......don't dog on the 302 boy...I'll git ya.....wait on the lift save that money for other stuff toward the swap and do it all at once.....JMO

JR

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
linky no worky...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Scott man...no sense in dropping a grand into a temporary thing......I'm on a budget and I know I couldn't swing that for something temporary...but geesh....if you've got that much dough to throw around sling some my way lol.....you're probly itchin to get the lift on ain't ya?just keep it to the side for a bit till you track down the axles you want......and FYI a buddy of mine has a 92 Ford on 40 inch ground hawgs...it WAS on 1/2 tons other than the SAS and that "little 302" as you so gently put it spun the hell out of them.....and it still does.....no matter how ragged it is......don't dog on the 302 boy...I'll git ya.....wait on the lift save that money for other stuff toward the swap and do it all at once.....JMO

JR

BLEH!
The issue is, its temporary yess, but i dont know HOW temporary, im constantly trolling junkyards and craigslist for D60s (or entire wrecked F350s for that matter) And in over a year of looking since i decided on running a 60, have found nothing for under $1500 for a D60. For awhile i even gave up and was just going to SAS to a D44 solid (until i wised up to the fact that a 427 stroker would explode that the first time i droped the clutch with big tires)
So who knows how long these axles will have to make do...

I might just run the lift with 37x12.5 SSRs and see how it drives with the 3.55's in it now and then decide what to do gearing-wise.

JR, what was the gearing on that truck to spin 40x17 GHawgs with a 302?!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Well it seems my GD internet has decided to stop loading pictures...and im a visual learner so i will check back on those links later...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well it seems my GD internet has decided to stop loading pictures...and im a visual learner so i will check back on those links later...
You dont need pictures. Just look at the titles of those parts and where it says '3.93 and up' or '3.73 and down'

Then you'll see what I mean about how you have to replace the carrier.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Yes i see that.

Man i just know that the truck wont be any fun to drive on anything bigger than 33"s with the 3.55 gearing...and going who knows how long unlifted is not an option. What do you guys think i should do?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yes i see that.

Man i just know that the truck wont be any fun to drive on anything bigger than 33"s with the 3.55 gearing...and going who knows how long unlifted is not an option. What do you guys think i should do?
If it were my money, I'd save it for the SAS and THEN regear. It's going to cost you damn near $1000 to regear axles and then you'll have to do it all over again when you get the new ones... If you wanna throw $1000 away then I'll give you my Paypal account.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Sure, might as well...i meen who wouldnt want to drive and wheel a slug around while waiting on parts?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Haha yer right, 31's now i can have a fair bit o fun.

The smallest i could justify going with an 8" lift would be 36x14.5 GHawgs.

So your tellin me i cant even fit 4.10s w/out swapping carriers? DAMN son!
If thats true then theres another thing on my short list of things i have against Dana Enterprises (the only other one is that they ever agreed to make the TTB axles...)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts