Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight 6 to 8 Cyl engine swap?

jtmacready

Tonto Kowalski
Total noob here, so take it easy on me...

I'm just curious and wanted to scratch a few brains out there to get some input/advice.

Also, please dumb down your answers and try to use layman's terms if you can...

I've got a 1981 F150 flareside that I love, but is massively underpowered...I'd love it to have a little bit more pep...and I can spend some $$$ on it, just not anything ridiculous like $30K!

Anyway, assuming I could find a similar year 8 cylinder engine...how impossible or difficult would it be to have an 8 cylinder engine implanted in there? It's got a straight 6 in it right now.

If it's a similar year...I'm hoping that it could be a straight swap with no concerns for custom engine mounts, etc. etc. etc...

(Also, I'd pay a starving mechanic to do this for me...I don't have the facilities or skills to perform such a massive operation in my car-port!)

Thanks,
JT

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Keep the 6 and put some headers and intake and carb....cam and maybe regear...youll out perform any stock 302 or 351 from that era. Nice rig btw and welcome to FTF!

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Yup. Or if you want something quieter you could run later style EFI manifolds.

www.fordsix.com.

Awesome site for 300 performance

jtmacready

Tonto Kowalski
Also...since my 81 is now 32 years old...I can lose any restrictive exhaust system, can't I?

This is off of the VA DMV site: Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year. As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010. Vehicles 25 years old or older qualify as antique motor vehicles but are not required to display antique license plates to qualify for the emissions exemption. Although exempt from the emissions inspection, the $2 emissions fee is required when renewing these registrations.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Sounds that way to me.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts