Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stuck In Regen

blacksnapon

Staff member
So Vince, Expert FORD Mechanic and all around good guy...

Is this guy looking for a magic fix that he will never find through drilling holes and programming? Is the only solution for him to pony up the $$$ and replace the parts?
Programming will eventually turn off the regen. There will be little to no gains in just removal of the dpf and cat, so one has to wonder why? There still is the diesel oxidation catalyst at the top rear of his engine (that he has not touched). I would have to ask what damage has he done to a piece that its only function was to dry out exhaust before it reaches the egr. Is he going to have progressively worse egr issues? He tried heating the temperature sensors to stop it. It would, but it started when he moved the heat. Even if he could keep a constant heat source on the sensors, the right amount of heat at the right time would be a challenge.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Funny quote from that thread.

"the fact is that Ford knew guys would be messing with this exhaust and just jacked up the prices to scare us."

06-18-07--07-27-07 and still broken..Absolutly amazing

compliments of my daughter:

:bowdown:

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'll give you a different perspective on the same (almost) subject. I was talking today with a tow truck operator, he said they have been very busy towing dodges to the dealerships for dpf failures. Apparently, theirs doesnt regen well enough to prevent the exhaust from plugging solid.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I'll give you a different perspective on the same (almost) subject. I was talking today with a tow truck operator, he said they have been very busy towing dodges to the dealerships for dpf failures. Apparently, theirs doesnt regen well enough to prevent the exhaust from plugging solid.

Oh now isn't that special. That would make your whole damn day in the middle of West Texas or some other BFE location while towing.:headbang:

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
This thread draws me like a moth to a flame. It is like that car wreck on the side of the road you just can not pass up without stopping to take a look.

$50,000 worth of paper weight all because he wanted to be the first..

Stupid!

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I couldn't resist any more, and I posted over there to give the guy something else to think about.

Ok I'll bite.............Pray tell what did you suggest to yonder Junior Genius :D

Gunner

I do not pretend to understand it, but here is his post:

Some of you guys know me from other forums, with other sign on names. The sensors on a 6.4 engine are extremely sensitive. So sensitive that mud can get in the exhaust tip, initiating regen. This should tell you that the back pressure from the dpf and cat are miniscule. Oh, in case you havent already found out, there is a diesel oxidation catalyst (separate from the dpf and cat). You can see it, top rear of the engine, behind the turbo. This is also in the exhaust stream, its sole purpose is to dry out the exhaust before it gets to the egr valve and 2 coolers. I would also be concerned about any damage done to the doc, egr coolers. You have temperature sensors pre cooler and after, to measure egr cooler efficiency. Oh, and the manual regen mentioned earlier, yes, we can manually initiate it. When replacing the dpf, we also have to reset dpf perameters. And yes, I can read the pressure sensors and tell if anything is amok.

sdtheclub

Certified Ford Tech
It's impossible to be stuck in regen. The PCM will not aloow that to happen. But gutting the DPF will cause it to regen more often.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
It's impossible to be stuck in regen. The PCM will not aloow that to happen. But gutting the DPF will cause it to regen more often.

Really! you may want to inform the 6.4 techs & FMC about this, cause it does and has happend.

Ford Truck Articles