Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Super hard start in the cold weather

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Now this it is getting colder, the 6.0 is starting to really have trouble starting up. If I plug it in, its no prob.

But if its outside in the cold, ill have to cycle/start 4 or 5 times before it stays running. It coughs and sputters for about 5 seconds before dying.

Last year, I could wake up at 0 degrees, hit the remote start, and she would fire right up, clank a little then take off like it was nothing, now its just struggling its $$$ off to even fire up. Sometimes I have to hold the key to the start position after it fires to keep the motor spinning, ive never had to do that in the past. Even after if fires up the motor has to warm up pretty good before it will even try to move under its own power. When its warm it runs GREAT.

Ideas? Ive been told everying from glow plugs to FICM to injectors to oil weight.

The changes I have made since last year are a SCT running the canned tunes, and 4" turbo back exhaust.

Im running rotella 5-40 synthetic, it is in need of an oil change, but its not overdue.

Im starting to wonder if my glow plugs/controller havn't died, since if its plugged in it is fine, still has to get to temp before it wants to move.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Have you done a load test on the batteries?....as temp drops the voltage will drop and the FICM will be unhappy....I learnt that personally a few years back with my 05.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
2 brand new batteries monday. No change. Ill look into icp. No codes though

blacksnapon

Staff member
black_connector.jpg
green_connector.jpg

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I take it you are thinking glow plug module. Testing procedure?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
So I swapped it out today, I left the truck unplugged for the tonight and I will see how she starts in the morning. If this truly is the problem, it should fire right up first try. Today it took about 10-15 minutes to get it to fire off. Stoopid 6.0

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
didn't fix it....

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
after testing my FICM I found this.

the second the key turns to on, I see 34 volts, then it starts to die off, after a couple seconds its down to 22 volts.

so basically its toast

spendy lil buggers too.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
So I pulled my FICM, I was going to just run down to the ford dealer and see about a new one, but it was over 700 dollars :suspicious: for a "new" one but they wanted my core...so I guess their version of new is a rebuilt one. So I decided to tear it apart and see what I could see. I took it apart and removed the horrible orange glue and here's what I found.

One of the flat resisters on the top side of the board was loose, it literally had became detached on one side. I repaired that. I inspected the other solder joints to find the first 5 to be "Cold" joints. Meaning the solder had cracked and was letting limited or no electricity to flow through, I didn't bother check the rest, I decided to re-solder all the joints. I assumed that this is probably lead-free solder, because it was cracked due to vibrations. So I found some leaded solder and simply heated up the joints, put a couple dabs of leaded solder in them and moved on. I did every joint on the board, the 4 flat resistors on the top side and all the pins sticking through to the bottom.

I put it back together and put it into the truck. I tested it via muli meter first, 48.5 volts. Then I put everything back together, coolant tank, bolted down the ficm etc.

THE TRUCK HAS NOT RAN THIS GOOD SINCE I BOUGHT IT.

Runs like a brand new truck.

So to recap (for the google bots to find keywords)

Ford F-350 6.0 Diesel Truck was not starting well, and huge clouds of smoke from the tail pipe when it would start. Then it rattled and clanked for a few minutes, coughing and sputtering, then it would run fine. Turns out the FICM was bad. I repaired it myself DIY and now the truck runs better than before.

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
yes, batteries were getting a little weak, not BAD but a little weak. But it started acting up before that. I replaced the batteries last week because I had to crank on it so long they would die before it started. Top of the line interstate batteries for the win. I was thinking going gel cell, but after having those at work, ive decided they are super over rated pieces of crap. If you jump one, or jump from one, you ruin it. I need something that can take a beating, so standard heavy duty batteries is what I went with. Highest CCA batteries in this size that interstate makes.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts