Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Superduty Tires

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ok guys, what brands of tires have you run on your SD so far?
How would you rate them?
Favorite tire?
Driving application, load, tire size should be minimum info included.

Others may want to do this as well by tire size or vehicle as well, to keep the tire talk in the tire area, and not in the vehicle sections.

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I'll go first, the stock BFG's gave up in 35,000 miles. They were a decent tire for most on road applications. When they were introduced to SB 2 gravel the rubber went south in a hurry. They were 265-70-R17 10ply. I would run them again as a primairily on road, limited off road tire.

Mastercraft Courser CT, same size as above, 50/50 pavement/SB2 travel. At 15,000 miles they were cut so bad I got a new set of tires. They were loud and were a pain to get balanced up. For an A/T they were pretty darn good in the mud. I would definatly not run these tires again.

Toyo Open Country A/T 285-70-R17 8ply are the tires I am currently running now. At 15,000 miles on them they appear to be able to go another 15,000, the tires have held up well, are extremely quiet, handle like a dream in wet traction situations, and have proven to be "fair" in the mud.

Can't wait to see what Todd has, that takes those lateral G-forces!

I've got Wrangler AT's on mine, load range E 265/75R 16s, mostly cuz I have to go on and off road with it.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Original Stockers:
BFG Rugged Trail T/A
LT265/70R17/E121/118R ROWL 31.4 Dia 658 Revs/Mile 3195 lbs @ 80 PSI

Replaced at 17000 miles. They were showing belts on the front. Run on road 75% and concrete starting area and asphalt 1/4 mile strip the other 25%. :)

New Tires:
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO
LT285/65R18/E125R RWL 32.7 Dia 636 Revs/Mile 3640 lbs @ 80PSI

Have 3000 miles on so far. Haven't been to the track to see how they hookup compared to the stockers yet, but they handle much better on the road so far.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
alot of folks around here. Run BFG , Kumho road adventures. nexens. And safari trex.
those are very popular out this way.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
we always had good luck with coopers on all of our heavy trucks!

Kep4

Jäger
Ran the stock BFG Rugged Terrain 265-70Rx17s for 34,225 miles. E-rated 10-ply tire that was very good on the street, highway and when towing. They were OK off-road but understandably poor in soft dirt and clay mud. They've still got about 5K to 10K left on them and I'll keep the set for long trips where I won't go off road.

New tires at 34,225 are Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain 35-12.50x17s, E-rated 10 ply. Just returned from a 500 mile trip towing my trailer over the Grapevine to Central California. They were great on the highway, louder of course than the stock tires but not bad at all. No squirming at 65 mph, the truck felt just as solid and controllable as with the BFG's. I ran them at 65 psi during the trip and at 50 psi when not towing.

Off road was a whole 'nuther world! A hill which I could not climb with the BFG's and both axles locked was now easily climbed with only the rear axle locked! I tried an even steeper hill and just climber right on up, no problems.

I've got lifetime rotation and balance from America's Tire and will take advantage of that service every 3,000 miles. If these tires last 30K I would definitely buy another set.

r-king

Certified Ford Tech
I have run BFG All Terrain TA's on every truck I have ever owned. I now have them on my 96 F250 and they have 24k on them and are junk. Wont buy them again for this truck. Thinking of going to Cooper ATR's or Firestone Destination AT's.........Any thoughts on best all around tire for 96 F250 4x4?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I have run BFG All Terrain TA's on every truck I have ever owned. I now have them on my 96 F250 and they have 24k on them and are junk. Wont buy them again for this truck. Thinking of going to Cooper ATR's or Firestone Destination AT's.........Any thoughts on best all around tire for 96 F250 4x4?

I ran BFG AT for years and then moved away from them after their QC started to slip.

Try the new Goodyear Wrangler Slient Armor. They are Severe Snow rated and very well mannered. Another tire to look at is the Bridgestone Dueler Revo.

www.goodyearwrangler.com/goodyearwrangler/html/index.jsp

Welcome aboard FTF.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Welcome to the site, r-king.

I'm runnng Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos on my 94 f-150 and absolutely love them. Quiet ride, hug the road, and did really well in the snow and ice this past week.

Ryan

bfg a/t's for me!!! love em, have had them on many trucks with great success!!

I just put a set of Firestone Transforce A/T's on for the winter. I replaced my stock Continental's with about 39,500 miles. I have plenty of tread for summer use but there was no way I'd use them in the snow.

Last edited:
I currently have 65,xxx miles on my original Good Year Wrangler A/T's. I'm in the process of looking/pricing new. Good Years just like I have are the cheapest, but I'd really like to go with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo II's.

I currently have 65,xxx miles on my original Good Year Wrangler A/T's. I'm in the process of looking/pricing new. Good Years just like I have are the cheapest, but I'd really like to go with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo II's.

Yeah those would look nice! What size rims do you have?

20's.... Tires are 275/65/R20. I've actually been quite happy with the Good Years. I really can't give a logical explanation why I want to change other than I like the looks of the Bridgestone.

On all of our F250s and both F350s at work we run BFG Rugged Trails. The newest (2008) F350 just had a set put on to replace the stockers which were Continentals, they lasted 32,000 miles before they started peeling the tread off. These trucks are run 85% on gravel.

The F450 runs some variant of Kumhos but I never paid attention to what sub model. They are not the RVs though.

rambler

New Shoes......
I just put on a brand called "crosswind" was told made by firestone, had to go with them, because they were the "cheapest deal" and what my tire dealer had ordered. they look good and are 10 ply P265-75R16s

we will see....

rambler

New Shoes......
Old tread, but was searching for tire information and saw my post.. I would not recommend these, as I am searching again for tires, they like nails and to lose air and not great in traction.. look good on the truck, but did not last long enough..

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
ive had hankook rt 03's on my last couple of trucks when i had 18's or smaller wheels on them. love them. they last between 30-40,xxx one set on a f150 and the 2nd was on my f250 7.3. when i went to 20's i had to get the nitto trail grapplers on my f250. also a great tire. got 30,000 out of them. awesome for mud terrain on a 3/4 ton. also both are 10ply

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I've heard nothing but positive reviews for the Hankook RTs, Probably the way I go on the F250 when the Goodyears finally give up.

The Goodyears are pretty good though, 305/70r16s 8ply and they handle well all around. When I was hauling scrap they never left me feeling like they weren't up to the task... They wear pretty well too...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts