Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Swapping from SD to MAF

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Hey guys,

I am going to swap out my speed density for a MAF system. Mostly for the sole reason of swapping out heads and cams, I want to make this baby run a lot stronger than she does now.

I have a couple questions that I'm trying to pin down, and I'm hoping you all will look over my e-build and see what you think about my plans.

EEC-IV computer out of a 94-95 mustang. I think this should be Code T4M0 (i need confirmation on that)

73MM MAF Housing (its only 1 butterfly instead of 2, how the hell do you hook that up?)

OEM MAF sensor from 94-95 stang (self explanatory i guess)

i found this harness...not sure if it will work, i am wondering should i swap to a bronco/f series harness or use the one i found or just add the wires i need to mine. I need some input here. heres the harness (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...v2&year=1986&gclid=CImLvbWtgb4CFU4R7AodRn4A-w)

Am I on the right track here? Yes i know there are tons of threads and eerrrrbody has done this, but i like contributing to the forum :horse:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
it looks like i need to swap out to a mustang intake or maybe fseries bronc. something like this. But shiney?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-3821-Engine-Intake-Manifold-/171309762242?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1994|Model%3AMustang&hash=item27e2db86c2&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
if i pick up an intake off a 96 bronco/f series and drop that on there i should be good? I can probable pick up the whole sharttaeroo upper intake for nothing.

Question, does the truck intake flow or perform nearly as good as the stang intake? would it be worth my time to use it? Or should i just go yank one off a stang?

Next question, does the 96 upper plenum bolt to the 85 lower? Or do i need to swap out the whole thing?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The upper plenum won't bolt year to year. If memory serves, they evolved 3 intake patterns from 1985-1995.

The mustang ones do flow better, yes. Are you doing this on the el-cheapo just to breathe some life into it? The aftermarket trick flow intake includes the intake manifold plus that upper plenum.

If you snag one off a truck, any intake manifold and upper plenum pair should work, just make sure you get the right gasket between the two pieces.

The one you found on ebay is probably the most standard. Some other looks you'll find over the years:

3235543712_67dc8eb7d7.jpg

7877d1116270356-351w-lower-intake-gt40-lower-intake-volvo.jpg

The Trick Flow even looks like this:

Ryan

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Thanks for the info Ryan, Im not trying to do it El Cheapo, but id rather sink my money into the heads cam and roller valve train than the MAF swap. So i will probably source out some used parts and pick some up new.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
is fordfuelinjection.com down for everyone else?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
he changed names.. to Oldfuelinjection.com due to ford busting him..

but he shut down anyways as well as rjm injection

mustang intakes are not in anyway better than the truck.. the truck 5.0 is about equal to the gt40.

the truck intakes stayed the same port designs..

the pics Ryan posted are differences between a few..

left is mustang 5.0
middle truck 5.0
right truck 5.8

Ok as far as ecu/wiring harness. this all depends on what trans you have..

also what heads and cam do you plan on running?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Thanks guys!

Booya!

Chris i plan on swapping to GT40 heads. But i am also up to other suggestions. I dont want to drop mad coin at this thing. So GT40s seem to be reasonable, but there are other heads in that price range that the peeps are claiming to be better. Either way...this slow turd needs moar powa!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
GT40's with a cam are pretty peppy. That will bring it to life, give you good guts, and then if you want more power you can play with intake and exhaust later.

Ryan

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
i read somewhere that the gt40 heads have a different intake than other heads. Does anyone know anything to back this up or debunk it?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Ryan, im already running full tube headers and a couple shorty glasspacks. the pipes are dual 2.5's. I dont think a 302 could out flow it. Well maybe a super charged 302 with spray and a 10k rev. :)

But my trans would croak well before that.

If/when i swap heads, i will probably drop a different intake on it. I just need to make sure the EFI stuff will all work

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
If i remember correctly the 302's injectors are sitting in the heads But i would think any new stang intake would would. But then again, how much gain is to be made over what the stock truck intake is running. Seems like its a fairly well flowing intake. Since its not running a carb on it, i dont see too much improvements being made.

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
actually for the life of me i cant remember where the hell the injectors are. Ive replaced them before, but i keep thinking they were in the intake. I might have to bugger out there and look. Bah!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You are right the 2nd time. They're in the intake manifold at the very end. The intake holes are the same, so no sweat. That's why the GT40's are so expensive. It's not because they're so great, it's just because they're about 100% bolt-on.

Ryan

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
im still trying to decide which heads i want....i would be down with just swapping to alumies and bring my compression way up

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts