Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

T M I 434

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

havi

third member
Why rush it? smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
By the time Duncan fires his 434 up, I'll have my 400 acquired, built, installed, and romping around in all kinds of mud. :wasntme:

With new 460's still being produced, the question of a 400 build is why?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
With new 460's still being produced, the question of a 400 build is why?

Why not?...lighter and can make good power. And in my particular case, to maintain originality.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Matching numbers/originality I understand in your case, in Shaun's case, again the question is why.

Rule #1 in engine building, there is no replacement for displacement.

The 460 is about as popular as the 302, in a general build application they have been known to get upwards of 150k on them. Plus with their recent new application, parts are elcheapo for them, as are the complete new engines, one just has to know where to look.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Agreed on rule #1 and nothing wrong with them....do it to be different because people aways knock that engine...the engine that is basically a tall deck Cleveland.
I'm pretty damn amazed that my engine will weigh around 450lbs dressed.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Matching numbers/originality I understand in your case, in Shaun's case, again the question is why.

Actually, originality plays a factor in my decision as well. The 460 was dropped from the engine option list after 1979, and then resurfaced again for 1983. The biggest engine available in F150-F350 trucks from 1980-1982 was the 400 V8.

Yea, I'm that picky with my trucks. :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey Duncan,

There's a 400 on my engine stand. :D

I'm hoping to have mine done before the end of the year. How about you? smilietease

I'd be willing to wager that yours might possibly be done first :D
I still have to grind all the flashings and castings off my block!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Actually, the block in the picture is .060/.030 over, so I probably won't use it. That is, unless the mains and the crank aren't distorted. I know the bores are in great shape. I may have the block sonic checked as well just to see what it looks like.

I'm still looking for a better candidate, but I haven't started making a table out of this one just yet.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Mine is untouched..I just don't want to assemble it until I'm much closer with the rest of the truck, the latest decision to rivet the crossmembers on has just added to the time..the restorer/paint guy wants to try it first before he commits to it.
On the positive side of procrastination, it would seem that Powerjection is working on their variable fuel pump that might get me away from running a return line, sounds like the "on demand" fuel pump is good for 550hp, which would be the max that I am developing.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
The more I look at my block, the more expensive it gets. So far I need a new camshaft and lifters, complete gasket set, new rings, new bearings, and possibly either larger valves, or some work on my valve guides.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts