Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tilt Column Broke 91 F350

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
So my 1st plow problem. I must have crashed into the steering wheel while mounding some snow yesterday night. I heard a pop and my tilt let loose. The wheel just bounced up and down, was super annoying to finish what I was doing. I did manage to rig it to keep still till I finished. I was looking into getting a used one but is nuts in price. The column was loose when I got the truck and I didnt help by crashing into it lol. Any common things that break?

I bought a whole tilt column from You-Pull-It for $40 with a good steering wheel. I wanted it just for the steering wheel and to figure out how it all worked. It looks to be in good condition. How much do they want for them in your area? I'd make you a great deal on this one but shipping would kill the great price.

Fellro

Staff member
I've never torn into a Ford tilt column, but from what little I have found, there is also bolts that hold the tilt mechanism in place. I have done several GM's where these bolts have simply worked loose. I did find some info that makes it sound like the same issue happens in the Ford columns as well. It comes from people using the column to pull themselves in to the cab.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It is very labor intensive. You'll empty your toolbox doing it as well. Specialty tools are involved. If you're not comfortable with intricate work and a lot of it, best take it to a garage. I've been in hundreds of them, and it doesn't get any more fun the more you do.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I took it apart once when I did get the truck as the wheel had play left to right due to the prev owner using it to get in and out of the truck. The pivot holes were all stretched out and I couldnt do anything about it. Yea I know there a pain to get apart.

Dave is the column tilt for a floor shift truck?

Fellro

Staff member
I'd have to look, but I have one truck that is a manual. Don't know if it is tilt or not. Shipping is then the next hurdle. It has also been open to the weather as the passenger side window has been broken out for a long time, and I traded the driver's door off it about a year ago.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
I'd have to look, but I have one truck that is a manual. Don't know if it is tilt or not. Shipping is then the next hurdle. It has also been open to the weather as the passenger side window has been broken out for a long time, and I traded the driver's door off it about a year ago.

What kinda shape is the bed in? Lol i evidently got into mine with the blade the other day.....

Fellro

Staff member
Rust and dents... Inside isn't bad, the outside shows it was a farm truck. Rust isn't terrible, mainly around the wheel wells.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I ordered a rebuilt column today so i got it now! Just gotta wait for it to come!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I finally got around to putting the reman column in. Well it took about 15 min to get the old 1 out. When I went to put the new 1 in the trim wasnt correct and it wouldnt fit into the grove in the dash. No big deal. Swapped that over from mine. Then I got it all in and the column isnt notched for my factory steering wheel and I had to buy a Grant steering wheel and adapter to get it driveable again. Then the 3rd prob is the ignition switch is so stiff or linkage is binding that when you start the truck you have to turn it back to keep the truck from cranking. I was so fed up as the horn button sucked on the Grant and wouldnt work that I just finished it up and will mess with the ignition switch tomorrow. CANT PEOPLE JUST DO THERE JOB RIGHT!!!!!

Fixed my oil pressure gauge also!!!!!

What was going on with the oil pressure gauge? And how did you fix it?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
The plug fell out of the back of the cluster lmao!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I took column back apart and the ignition switch is super stiff. So I took it apart, cleaned it up, greased it up, and put it back in. Its way easier now, but still not like it should be.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts