Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans jack

blacksnapon

Staff member
When you do transmission or clutch work, do you have a jack, or just bench press it?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'll let you know in a few weeks... LOL

blacksnapon

Staff member
When I worked at the GM place, I didn't have a lift or a trans jack. Not watching what I was doing, I removed a Chrysler 727 and NP 205 all at once from a Jeep. I had enough strength to lay it on my chest, and slide out on my creeper. Then I called the detail guys over to get it off of me!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
When I worked at the GM place, I didn't have a lift or a trans jack. Not watching what I was doing, I removed a Chrysler 727 and NP 205 all at once from a Jeep. I had enough strength to lay it on my chest, and slide out on my creeper. Then I called the detail guys over to get it off of me!
Pff... Sissy :rofl:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have a floor jack that I built an adapter on that lets me use a jackstand upside down on top of it. It works perfect for a transmission jack. It sounds strange and dangerous but it works great and is stable. I'll try to remember to snap a pic tomorrow.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
yeah no kiddin that maybe helpful here when we put mine back together.

Fellro

Staff member
I have built adapters for different style trannies for my floor jack, the main thing that sucks is getting it on the adapter, but then, the trans jack my friend has is the same problem, except at least mine lifts, his has the check valves out, due to his uncle overstressing it... tried to do a semi trans with a car jack...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have a floor jack that I built an adapter on that lets me use a jackstand upside down on top of it. It works perfect for a transmission jack. It sounds strange and dangerous but it works great and is stable. I'll try to remember to snap a pic tomorrow.

I remembered to take a couple of pictures finally. This only works on lifted trucks though. My truck is tall enough to sit the tranny on top of the jack and still slide it underneath. Let the laughter commence!

0710070004.jpg

0710070003.jpg

0710070001.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol nice work Tony. Thats redneck ingenuity if I've ever seen it ;)

What was that little cup adapter that started on it?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
That lets the jack lift up the rear end high enough. It fits under the pumpkin. And without that on there, there is just the rod that holds the jackstand on. This jack is used for tall trucks. I have a regular un-redneck modified floor jack for normal things.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yes, it was a pulley. I welded it to a piece of 2x2 tubing and now it is a jack. I really have too much time on my hands. But, necessity is the mother of invention. :D

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I've got an actual trans jack, I use it for the transmissions but I'll press the t-cases for the fact of them being light ('93 F-150, '84 Bronco, '86 F-250).

Its non hydro too, It's way older than me too. Photos to come when i can find some batteries.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts