Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transfer case and rearend oil

Hi guys,As alot of you guys know I just got my 77 F250 4X4.And it has been doing alot of sitting brfore I got it.And was thinking about changing the oil in the front end and rear ends and the transfer case.But what oil and weight do I use?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I can only speak to the volume of the transfer case on the '78. I don't know if the '77 would have a different volume. The '78 part-time(205) holds 4 pints. The '78 full-time(203) holds 9 pints. This info is from the '78 owner's manual.

How do I tell what transfer case I have?Sorry for asking all the dumb question.But this in my first 4X4 in the 73-79 that im slowly fixing up.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I want to say last time I did the front and rears, each took 1.5 bottles. Tcase took 3-4. That's the tall skinny bottles...not sure of the unit of measure.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How do I tell what transfer case I have?Sorry for asking all the dumb question.But this in my first 4X4 in the 73-79 that im slowly fixing up.

Do you have manual hubs??? Still not necessarily an answer, there were conversions...but will get you in the ball park. Also how does the graphic on your tcase shifter read???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^You have the 205...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Ben,Is the 205 a decent transfer case?

The 205 is the case to have being gear driven (rather than chain).

Any synthetic oil or is there one better then the other?

My perception of oil is it's a hype market, more often than you're paying for the name on the label. So buy what you can afford.

Ford Truck Articles