Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tree stock in your "bead"

bjesus........ i've fought this for 4 yrs 'cause i'm cheap. when i bought my truck i knew the idgit that owned it wadded a tree a speared a stump(i think log). it would lose 2-3 lbs of air a yr. no big deal i just refilled and rotating only slowed air loss. in the last week it went from 36lbs to 20lbs 3 times. well guess what?? wood rots and leaves a place for rust to get in the wheel.:headbang: i puled out what was left of the petrified forest and made it worse. leak like a siv.
finally said screw it. pulled the whole deal, deaired and broke the bead. holy bat crap bat man.. how the hell can that much junk get in there.
there was still half a sequoia in that thing. 3 grindings of the rim, 4 gallons of dish liquid and water to see leaks, and Sassy mad as hell 'cause she hates when my compressor runs.....40 lbs of air for 8 hrs(was lasting for 8 minutes), no bubbles , AND i put all my tools away when i was done(a first).
if i have 40lbs tomorrow... i'll be a happy camperYelloThumbUp

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I flippin' HATE tire work with a passion.

Good to remember that rotting wood allows rust, though. Makes sense, but I never thought of it...

Uhhhhh, did you PAINT after grinding?? Even Rattlecan would think of that!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I always paint rims when the tires come off, but then I make such a friggen mess of the thing when I mount the tire I don't know why I bothered.

:headbang:

On my old van I took them in and had them powdercoated for about 25 bucks each. Made a HUGE difference in staying clean and relatively unscratched. Hardest part was prepping them for the powdercoater's.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, a buddy of mine had five wheels powdercoated for his antique car, $15 apiece to coat, but I think he ended up paying $65 or something for the blasting...

I don't mount my own tires on anything that matters, so I don't worry too much about it. (I did, once, get a wooden match stuck between a tire and a rim. I'll let you figure out how that might have happened...)

(I did, once, get a wooden match stuck between a tire and a rim. I'll let you figure out how that might have happened...)
Sounds like a case of insurance fraud in the making, to be honest :rofl:
I don't mount my own either, but I DO often take them off the vehicle and down to the repair shop. When I wanted winter wear for my truck, I took the steel rims down, had the tires removed, cleaned em up a bit and off to the HOT DIP they went, then to the Powdercoater. My Daily driver tires were on the truck on the alloy rims, so it wasn't a problem.

On my old van I took them in and had them powdercoated for about 25 bucks each. Made a HUGE difference in staying clean and relatively unscratched. Hardest part was prepping them for the powdercoater's.

What prep do you do?

The local place bead blasts everything as far as I know.

I have never had anything done. My wheels need it badly, but...it costs $$ that I don't have. LOL

Fellro

Staff member
(I did, once, get a wooden match stuck between a tire and a rim. I'll let you figure out how that might have happened...)
Sounds like someone is playing with ether... I used to work as a tire buster, so I know a few tricks other than the ether to get them to mount as long as they aren't collapsed too far.If you have enough patience, I even know how to get them to spread out after collapsing.

primered the wheel where i had to grind. i hate RUST

Sounds like someone is playing with ether... I used to work as a tire buster, so I know a few tricks other than the ether to get them to mount as long as they aren't collapsed too far.If you have enough patience, I even know how to get them to spread out after collapsing.

Isn't there some extremely dangerous (explosive) manner to re-setting a bead out on the trail? Hmm...match stick...tire....am I close?

Fellro

Staff member
yes, the trick is to spray ether into the tire, then light it, and quickly hit it with the air hose while the bead is seated, before it falls back off. Heavy truck tires are notorious for not wanting to seat, that's where I learned about it. Had to do it a while back with my truck tires, because the rim was just a bit too wide to get anything else to work. I try to use ratchet ties first to push the side walls out by putting the tie around the tire and tightening.
Something else to get beads to seat on rusty rims is to do the aforementioned cleaning and painting, then use a bead sealer product that is messy and sticky, but works well, kind of like using a silicone sealer. I use armor all or some kind of interior protectant to make the bead slick to slip on the rim better, plus has the side effect of protecting the tire and rim as well. It doesn't have to be a proper tire lube, many people use dish soap, but it tends to be a shade corrosive, so I switched to the armor all or whatever protectant like it is cheap.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep...

I didn't have any ether, so I used brake cleaner, but it's the same idea. My compressor is too small to be much use for anything else.

My buddy got a tire/rim two feet off the ground once doing this. Dangerous and stupid, I suppose, but...

hmm, i had more trouble breaking the bead than getting it to "re-bead" all 6 times

Fellro

Staff member
That's why I invested in one of those cheap tire "machines" from Harbor Freight, works well for bead breaking, especially after a little reinforcement...

well..... the secret to breaking bead in the yard is, hold on, a 2x10.
3' of 2x10 placed just short of the wheel(valve stem removed of course) and SLOWLY drive up the board. POP-STOP!! the whole thing de-beads(un-beads??) with no damage. desperation and no frigging help demands invention. i figured what the hell. it leaks like a sieve, if i ruin it i'm no worse than i was. it doesn't work, i need a tire. if it keeps loosing air, i need a tire.
maybe i'm just lucky..yeah right. never been before!! i'm just GOOD.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts