Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

truck died tonight...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so i was going through the city tonight and my truck decided to just quit on me... i looked at the guage and it was near E. i tried to restart it and it would just crank and crank and crank... then it fired back up and i drove straight to the gas station, put $20 in the front tank which i know the fuel pump works. got back in and no start again... then starts and i drive down the road and dies again...... it won't start with either tank selected. just cranks and cranks and cranks. this past week its been having a hard start by just cranking then firing up. im thinking the front fuel pump on the frame rail is bad/going bad... i got it towed to my work instead of tinkering with it on the side of the road. tomorrow im going to run some diag tests..and hopefully find the problem quickly so i can fix it and get it on the road again. for some reason im not actually mad though,!:suspicious: just felt like telling people...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i personally dont have much for diag equipment but my boss has a fair amount. im not exactly sure what he has but i can tell you ive got the basic stuff(ignition tester, fuel pressure gauge, compression gauge, we have a genesis scan tool(not sure what model) at work, the snap on brick(once again not sure of what exact model. we also have a smoke machine like the one you have eco and a few other diag tools but i can't honestly remember what they are (just too damned tired right now)

Yes Travis, please tell us so eco can BRAG about all his fancy equipment...

Just because you are jealous does not mean that you have to bring out the sarcasm. I was asking what he was going to do....that has nothing to do with what little bit of tools I have.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
well im suspecting either the ignition coil i put in or the front fuel pump, when i get to work in the morning im going to see if ive got fuel pressure while cranking, see if the fuel pump is even turning on to prime when i turn the key, and test for spark. start with the basics

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I would go with a coil first then then test the fuel pump , sounds just like my friend at work problem he had last week (92 I6).

Mike

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The fuel pump relay on the 87-92 (On fender can go bad) I had 1 let me down at 3 am and while guy was cracking and me looking I gave up and slamed hood Truck started right up.

Good luck on search fr problem

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
The fuel pump relay on the 87-92 (On fender can go bad) I had 1 let me down at 3 am and while guy was cracking and me looking I gave up and slamed hood Truck started right up.

Good luck on search fr problem

smilieIagree

maybe the fuel pump relay is giong

My guess is the TFI Module, but if it is the Fuel Pump on the frame quitting then I would say you have a bad in-tank pump and the frame pump is not being cooled by the gas and is quitting.
Have not verified this yet but I think it has a thermal in it that will open.

i'm thinking simple like Brian did. chk fuel filter 1st....progress to the pricey stuff. i used to start thinking big fix and found it was 99.9% of the time a $5.00 part

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Travis...I done told ya about that color meow.......I told you it was cursed......start small go big...the same applies with
TRUCKS u dirty thinkers.....Good Luck

JR

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
well..........i went to work yesterday and in the afternoon i went to see what was wrong...and it started right up and ran for a good 4 hours................

i drove it like 30+ miles hitting potholes, swerving and so on just to recreate the problem....wiggled all the wires, connections, sensors, everything. and it didn;t die..... so the only thing i can think of was it was bad gas or water in the bottom of the tank and it sucked a little bit in... don;t know

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok i think i FINALLY found the problem.. the truck died again last night during the snowstorm in the city...... couldn't get it running. then we put some more gas in it, nothing. i did have spark though because i had my spark tester hooked up from work for when this occasion happens. so my boss pushes me with his f-250 and it starts up. i get home fine after working on the damn thing on the side of the main drag for 3 hours... go to work this morning died on the highway but starts up again.

so i get out of work hoping it doesn't start....and it doesn't thank god! so i do some testing and stuff and come to find out my EEC relay and my Fuel pump relay have corrosion on them, not a lot but just enough to mess with it. so we jump the relay and it starts right up. final diagnosis, fuel pump relay corroded enough to cause intermittant stall/no start. on mondya im going to order a new EEC relay and a fuel pump relay and the connectors for both so i can cut the old wire out and put new ones. sometime in the spring im going to be somewhat rewiring my engine bay to clean it up(all the wires and hoses that is) and waterproof the electrical connectors

This would be a good time to do the conversion over to Bosch Relays like the Fords in the 90's have.
Do you need a diagram?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts